Yoda's diet

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by dredleviathan, Jan 16, 2004.

1. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Hi there,

I've been looking at Yoda's journal today and noticed that many of his aims for the next couple of months are very simialr to mine. So I am primarily aiming these questions at him but please do all chip in any ideas that you have!

Yoda you mention that your dietary goals are for a high protein, low fat, moderate carb diet. This seems to make sense to me to considering that I have 10kgs of flab to shift and I'm still unable to exercise as much as I like due to am ankle injury.

I have no previous experience of dieting in any fashion (although I have lived with my girl for 3 years so not conmpletely out of touch).

In the past I have only ever needed to pick up the cardio to lose any excess but this seems harder now and like I explained even more difficult due to injury.

Anyway I've been doing a bit of research but I'm still no nearer to actually formulating a diet as such, so I have some questions:

1. I read that you need abou 100g of carbohydrate per day to prevent ketosis i.e. you need the carbs to assist in the metabolization of fat. Presumable this is a pretty ball park figure and this would change at least in accordance with the individual's weight? So by Yoda's definition what constitutes a moderate amount of carbs per day based on my current weight of 93kgs (target 83kgs)?

2. Low fat - no problem

3. High protein - similar question to #1. I will be re-starting my weights program and concentrating on strength training. I realize that I should be eating a certain amount of protein per day. Again what consitutes a high protein diet? How many g's should I aim for per day?

4. The US FDA website has a quite useful feature that allows you to select the protein/fat/carb profile that you would like to aim for and suggests foods that fit into this ratio within 20% I think. Anyway going for the high prot, low fat, mod carb diet what ratio am I looking at i.e 60:10:30 (p,f,c); 50:20;30 (p,f,c), 40:30:30 (p,f,c)?

(the only problem with the US FDA site is that many of the products are not available in the UK).

5. I sort of have the feeling that I eat too many carbs at night. Often fairly late due to training and not getting home until 22.30. I am therefore beginning to try and eat carb-based foods either at breakfast or lunch (on the basis that I need fuel) and then a more protein based meal at night.

Current examples -

Day 1
    Breakfast: Toast (brown, 2 slices w/th low fat spread & marmite)

Lunch: Mixed salad with half can tuna mixed with cottage cheese and I tbsp low fat mayo. + Apple.

Mid-afternoon: Orange

Evening: Something along the lines of Chilli con Carne (incl. Kidney beans) and steamed veg such as brocolli

Day 2
    Breakfast: fruit (grapefruit, apple or grapes), muesli and yoghurt.

Lunch: 2 brown rolls, filled with humous, grated carrot, shredded cabbage and green salad + apple

Mid-afternoon: orange

Dinner: Turkey goulash with steamed veg.

Am I heading in about the right direction?

6. In Yodas journal I think he mentions a caloric goal of 1500 cals per day. I've always thought that the average bloke needed more like 3000 cals per day especially when resonably active. Obviuosly I understand that weight loss occurs when you create a deficit between daily cals used and daily intake. However 1500 seems pretty low... is this sustainable? I could see this leading to binges if I was to get hungry.

I've never really eaten a lot of high fat or sugary foods but obviously the recent weight gain indicates that I am eating too much or incorrectly. Any assistance would be gratefully received.

Best wishes,

Dred

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hi Dred

The diet in my journal works for me - I suggest to try it and make up your own mind.

Some tips...

Eat more often.
    Eat protein at every meal
    Minimise complex carbs and favour greens
    Drink lots of water.
    Don't eat after 7pm.

1500-1750 cals per day, about 100g ptorein per day - again this works for me and my dinosaur metabolism.

3. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Just a question:

Why dont eat after 7pm?

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Because when it come time for my body to make the choice - store this as fat or use it as energy- I don't want to be sleeping!

5. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Ah, i see :) Thanks for clearing that one up! :)