wrists?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by brimbleboy, Jan 5, 2006.

1. brimbleboy

brimbleboy Valued Member

Im always being told i have very skinny wrists's and arms. Im starting to think the same thing to. I can wrap my thumb and my middle finger around my wrist and make them touch. This obviously aint a good thing. What should i do?

2. TKD=FUN

TKD=FUN New Member

why not i can wrap my thumb and little finger around my wrists and they are still strong. its not the size that counts, its how strong it is.
    i can brake boards punching so my wrists cant be weak but they are tiny.

3. brimbleboy

brimbleboy Valued Member

well, i have small fingers to, + no, my wrists arn't very strong atall, and my arms are very skinny

4. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

:rolleyes: Brimbleboy, come on man, you have been here long enough to know that you need to get on a good full body weights programme with large compound movements, a good diet, and some direct grip work. :)

5. brimbleboy

brimbleboy Valued Member

wat about trying to punch through boards?

6. Blake_AE

Blake_AE Valued Member

Search for the thread in Health and Fitness called Forearms I think. Covers a lot for building wrist, forearm and grip strength.

7. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

You will just break your weak wrists :p

8. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Try doing very light front squats with proper olympic form. That'll certainly make your wrists more flexible and stronger. My wrists are the same way btw, and I too have small fingers. But my grip is still pretty strong, so just do some grip work, like deadlifts. Do lotsa them and it'll certainly help with forearm strength/wrist stability.:D

9. Maverick

Maverick New Member

Unfortunately your frame size is completely genetic and you can't make substantial changes to the width of your actual wrist as there is no muscle around it, only tendon. However you can still strengthen and increase the size of your forearms with grip work. Deadlifts, chinups, farmer's walks, dumbell exercises will all work your forearms well, but you might want to add specific grip work like using grippers, rotating hammers or using thick bars for the above exercises. Don't use gloves as they increase the friction between your hands and the bar and this will make it easier on your forearms.

10. TKD=FUN

TKD=FUN New Member

i improved my wrist strength one hell off a lot doing knuckle, and back of wrist push ups. they hurt to start off with but if your careful you can work up from one. dont go and try and do 10 back of wrist push ups straight away i guarentee youll fail and hurt yourself.