Wrist strenghtening

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Kappa, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Kappa

Kappa New Member

As a complement to judo training, I've been trying to pull an equal time at the gym (3 days at judo, 3 days at the gym), working on my weaker points. Right now I'm working handstands into my routine as well--we do them before or after mae mawari ukemi, as balance training. The uppermost belts actually walk on their hands before rolling over! :eek:

I know it'll be a long time before I'm as skilled and well balanced as these people are (or for that matter, walking on my hands), but I definitely want to last a few seconds on my hands before rolling over, and I'm actually pretty close to managing not to need a wall while standing on my hands (thanks to advice by a friend who's also a trainer at the gym, and an ex-wrestler).

However, today, after five handstands and a failed attempt to raise a hand (like you'd do when you're walking on your hands), I noticed my wrists were really sore. I blame it on the fact that I never have done anything involving punching or the like, and therefore I have weak wrists. Is it possible that they'll just grow stronger with the more handstands I do, or should I be doing any particular exercise to exercise them?

2. fighting13

fighting13 Valued Member

they will grow stronger as u progress with your handstands, but lifting specificly for your forearms and wrists will help strengthen them alot faster(and make those handstands easier)

hammer curls==favorite forearm exercise. hold the dumbell at your side so that your palms are facing inward and then just do a bicep curl while keeping your wrists straight and palms facing inward.

wrist curls(dumbell or barbell)== great wrist and forearm exercise. sit on a bench or chair and rest your arm(s) on your legs to where your hands and wrists are over the edge of your knees. grab the dumbell/barbell and curl the weight upward using only your wrists. make sure to keep your elbows stationary and on your thighs. that way the load will be lifted entirely with your wrists.

reverse dumbell curls===another great one for wrists and forearms. easiest to do with a barbell if you have acess to one. just grab it palms facing down and do your standard bicep curls while keeping your wrists straight and palms down.

an example of the forearm training i do is

Hammer Curls 4-5 sets 8-10 reps
    Dumbell Wrist Curls 4 sets 10-15 reps
    Cable Reverse Curls 4 sets 10-15 reps

these will help beef up your wrist strength and forearms as well as your grip strength. happy lifting

3. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

isnt bag work the best wrist training you can get ?

4. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

5. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

thanks Yohan. I didn't know this was available. since my injury i've been looking for something to work that specific motion.

6. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

No worries man - I try to share that with as many people as possible - it's such a good tool, and almost entirely unknown.

7. Jep

Jep New Member

Doing press-ups on your knuckles helps