Wrist Question

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Prophet, Apr 2, 2005.

1. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

I do hex dumbbell holds. I dont do farmers walk anymore though... maybe I should add em back in

2. calleo14

calleo14 Banned Banned

Well then

Okay I see ninjamonkey I thought you where saying the exercise its self is useless which is not true, But I do see what you mean the only way usefull for curling an opponent is no where but I mean come on extra strength cant be harmful can it? Im the type of person who trains everything to the fulliest

3. Jumper53

Jumper53 New Member

From a joint locking or grappling point of view wrist strength in all directions is as important as grip strength. Both for defense and for attacking.

Also stick weapon training is very wrist intesive. And a great way to strenchten the wrists.

I have had many Korean people hear I do Hapkido and then grab my arm to check out the size of my wrists. I do not think any of them would believe I was a Black Belt if their hands fit completely around my wrists.

4. MattN

MattN Valued Member

You can't make your wrists grow........can you? I thought it was just bones, tendons and ligaments at the wrist

5. calleo14

calleo14 Banned Banned

Nah

You cant change wrist size but you can make them look bigger by having bigger forearms

6. Jumper53

Jumper53 New Member

Actually my wrists have gained about half an inch over the last five years. I put it down to sword and other weapon training. When I grab my instructors wrist there is about an inch and a half between my fingers and my thumb. It's kind of like grabbing a tree.

7. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

Yeah, you know how wrists usually give a little? My instructors' wrists don't. It's kinda freaky. As for the muscles in the wrist question, what many people consider the wrist is really the very end of the forearm, and that's packed with skinny, sinewy muscles and lots of tendons. It's really a very complex structure in there, considering it needs to be able to allow the huge variety of things we can do with our hands. The wrist bones are actually the carpals, located at the base of the hand, but totally separate from the forearm's radius and ulna.

8. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

Thankyou, now I feel spiritually fulfilled :D . Sure thing, extra strength could never hurt, but what we're saying is there's much better things to do with your workout time than forearm curls, if you are the type of person who 'trains everything to the fulliest,' are you serious about this, how long do your workouts go for? I hope you don't isolate every muscle in your body :rolleyes: . But sure, if you want big forearms go for it, but you know what they say about guys with big forearms... :D

9. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Sure you can use anything you want for the farmers walk. The best bet is to buy some industrial water jugs. Mine are 10L and the handles are majorly fat. Just pack in some sand and rocks and it will do you fine.

Trust me, its easily comparable to the 20rep squat or 15rep deadlift, all murder.

10. Forest Bill

Forest Bill New Member

The best forearm work is grip work, not crappy curls :bang: :bang: :bang:

11. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Exactly. Wrist curls should be kept for bodybuilders. If you are interested in strength then use farmers walks, heavy grippers, pinch gripping, fat bar work etc. There is a VAST array of exercises that are infinitely better than wrist curls for your grip. In fact, I read a study somewhere recently that showed that wrist curls had very little effect on your actual grip, but I can't for the life of me find it. I think it was on t-mag.com somewhere.

12. calleo14

calleo14 Banned Banned

I train alot

I train everything and change up my workouts alot to give them a shock. lol what do they say about guys with big forearms ninjamonkey? lol

Ight yea farmerwalks and all that are good I try and switch alot though

hey keep looking please I wanna read

13. Ad McG

You're 16, so I'm assuming that "I switch a lot" means "I don't stick to any one program for more than a week" :) ;)
    Try and create programs that last for several weeks or have ones with specific targets. Working out differently every time is good, but you won't make as much progress.

14. calleo14

calleo14 Banned Banned

lol

lol yes im 16
    I stick to a program atleast 3 weeks then reset it based on what I need improvement on so then I change it up for better results

Im not going to even argue about that being 16 statement cause sometimes I have that problem specially if Im not feeling the plan lol

15. Ad McG

Everyone gets it mate. Best thing to do is to find a plan that lasts say 8 weeks and stick to it solidly, tracking your progress in a journal. Track how you feel with the workouts too, then assess how you've done with the program. At 16, almost anything will work for you, but nothing will be better than sticking to a program for a few weeks before you have a rest and change it up. Far too many people get stuck in the rut of mixing programs together and going off programs too early (we've all done it) but once you stick to something and see consistent gains, you will have more patience with your training.

16. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Allright, So, me being completly openminded, thanks you guys for the help, and drops the wrist curl routine. Picks up some grippers, and now does farmers walks. :)

17. Trinity

Trinity New Member

Mate i do 4 different types of forearm exercises and have forearms like popeye. Big forearms are good due to the fact that it adds weight to final impact of a strike. think about the difference between getting hit by somebody with match stick forearms and then some guy hitting you with forearms like legs of lamb. As for the pain, i get it some times as well just go light for a couple of days.
    The other exercises i do are:
    1. hold a barbell behind you wresting under your butt checks palms facing backwards and then curl your wrists up.
    2. Hold the barbell in front of your hips arms straight palms facing backwards and curl like you are reving a harley.
    3. Tie some thin rope around some wieght and the other end around a stick, now with your arms straight out in front holding the stick in both hand roll the stick so the rope wraps around the stick and lifts the weights and then lower it slowly.