When to start weighted Pull-ups and Dips?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by BoxBabaX, May 26, 2005.

1. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

I was wondering when it would be suitable to start doing weighted pull ups and dips, as well as what kinda belts or weights to use for both. Is it after reaching a specific rep # or..?

2. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Well, I suppose it would depend apon your goals.

If your going for pure strength (which you should be as a MAist), then once you can do more than ..oh, more than 7-8 reps you should add some weight.

Make it so you can do a bunch (3-5) sets of 4-6 reps.

3. Maverick

Maverick New Member

I disagree, I'd say make sure you can do sets of 15-20 proper chins.

4. Humble Guy

Humble Guy New Member

I can do 3 set of 25 full body "proper technique" dips.

Should I move onto weighted dips?

5. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Yes.
    You could also look into more advanced variants of the exercise, like tuck planche pushups.

6. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

Tuck planche pushups! :eek: Damn I tried getting those for so long.......and then gave up. Great overall strength building exercise though.

7. Humble Guy

Humble Guy New Member

I'm famous for my push-ups :D

This sounds like a challenge!

How do you do them and what is the bench mark? :)

8. Knight_Errant

9. Humble Guy

Humble Guy New Member

Do you move up and down like a press up, or hold that position?

I did find an interesting website http://beastskills.blogspot.com while I Googled tuck planche pushups

Gonna try some of that stuff at home for my core. I love core evercises.

10. Knight_Errant

for the pushup, you go up and down.
    Beast skills rocks.
    Have you seen the pic of the guy when he was competing? ripped.

Last edited: May 26, 2005
  11. Humble Guy

Humble Guy New Member

Don't know about the tuck planche pushups, I'll have a whirl at home but I think the number I'll be able to acheive will be a very round one! :rolleyes: :D

12. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

Pullups have always been hard for me and so I added weight when i got to 9 reps. I am now on 10kgs for 7 reps. When I hit nine again I will add 5 kilos. They are quite big jumps but it keeps me motivated.

As for the dips, I have always found them quite easy because I was a 'bicepcurlandpressupboy' in my teens. I can now do dips with 41kilos around my waist for 6 reps, I am planning to stop adding weight when I hit 60kilos.

Just find a way that keeps you interested and reach the goal. Then set yourself another target to beat.

13. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

thanks for the responses

What kinda belt do u use for them? is it the same belt for both exercises?

14. Combatant

YEP. I recently bought a maximuscle belt.

15. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

One? Good luck with that, I bet you don't even get close.

Combatant - why stop adding at 60kg? The world record is over 400lbs I think and it's a safer move than bench pressing to be honest.

16. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

how british of u :D
    thats only sold in UK :cry: anyone know some US ones?

17. Combatant

Adam,
    When I hit 60 which will be a long while I just want to try and aim for endurance with it. 60k dips is more then enough strength for me and to be honest I get weird enough looks for having 41k hangin between my legs in the gym! :p I have also got to focus more on my chins to try and bring them up to scratch a bit.

Box,
    The Ironmind de rigeur is the most highly regarded dip belt on the market as far as I know from www.ironmind.com
    And because you are a yank you wont have to pay the extortionate postage! :D
    Anyway, any generic one is fine really. For the past nine years I have used a normal bet with a chain and a couple of carrabiners and its not held me back.

18. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Good call. It's a great idea to concentrate on something else for a while once you've reached a goal. I need to work everything really, haha. This summer should make a nice dint in some of those goals though.

19. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

ah yes thank you :D ^^, first time ive ever been called a yank! guess its cuz im british/iraqi myself :eek: !

20. Combatant

Too many people have injured themselves going for too big a goal. Ive been doing low reps since I was 15! It would be nice to go above 6reps with a weight I feel proud of. :p I have the bodysolid dip bars and am not sure how much weight the can handle escpecially with my fat a$$. :D