What to do AFTER conditioning?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Shadow_of_Evil, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

Hey folks. Please do NOT take this thread as your typical n00b-"should I kick trees and roll kali sticks on my shins"-thread.
    I know the best way to condition your shins is to go at the heavy bag and just spar a lot, but what about after a hard session when your shins (or any parts of your body) are really tender?
    Obviously you can just suck it up and take the pain, but I fractured my shin at the start of the year and I'll be honest, I'm having a wee bit of trouble putting of with even the slightest pain after a hard shin workout.

Long story short, are there any methods to help toughen your body AFTER a workout? I've heard of people wrapping their shins with warm towels after a heavy bag workout, but I heard this from the same type of people that roll kali sticks on their legs, so...go figure.

So...any thoughts?

PS: I have checked with the doctor and I am NOT causing any futher damage to my injured shin with my current training methods.

Thanks fellas.

2. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Thai oil works nicely.

3. Shadow_of_Evil

How so dude? how does it work?

4. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Its probably a mental weakness thing. Your shin is undoubtedly slightly more tender than normal from being fractured but you will live with it. If you cant handle the slightest pain then you might have a fear of pain lol

5. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

I use Aloe if I've worked the bag hard. Doesn't stave off the tenderness but it does help the skin to recover for your next training session.

6. PlumDragon

PlumDragon "I am your evil stimulus"

Certain types of jow used before and after will help with the healing process, and certain types will help with the strengthening.

Lots of massage. Rubs those bruises out.

Rest. Best thing for your body is to make sure youve let it heal completely before going out and banging it up again.

7. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Boxing liniment, Thai Oil(essentially the same), basically anything you would use on a bruise.

8. Shadow_of_Evil

Its probably a mental weakness thing. Your shin is undoubtedly slightly more tender than normal from being fractured but you will live with it. If you cant handle the slightest pain then you might have a fear of pain

Don't get me wrong dude, I'm a pretty tough person and can certainly handle my fair share of pain. It's just that I feel like I'm doing more damage, despite the doctor saying I'm not. I just feel like there has got to be something I can do to help bring my shin back up to speed.

Thanks for the help to the others. Cheers.

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Maybe you need to be looking at working your shin back to top form a bit more slowly.
    So it was broken at the first of the year right? And your doctor has given you the OK to go back to training with the heavy bag right?

Then you should work back into it nice and slowly. That means a day or two or maybe even three off between heavy bag workouts. Your not in a race... so no need to rush it. It can take some time to actually condition your shins up.

Copious amounts of massage on your shins will help increase circulation and blood flow the area. That's a good thing for helping shins to recover after a hard session on the heavy bag. Often people will swear by one form of oil or lotion or another... I've never seen credible evidence to back that up... anecdotal yes... a proper study that supports using one form of oil/lotion or dit da jow over another... nope. So take the 'wonder dit da jow' stuff with a rather large grain of salt. :D

So slap something on there... and massage away. That and a proper amount of rest in between really heavy sessions.

You probably do have a certain amount of hesistation or mental block about conditioning your shins - especially after breaking one of them... it's normal. Just work through it slowly... a bit at a time. Like I said - your not in a race... so take your time... ossification doesn't happen overnight.

10. Shadow_of_Evil

Thanks a lot jab. You're a champ. Some really helpfull words there.

In case anyone was wondering, I fractured my shin back at the start of the year by kicking someone at a party (we were play fighting) and I connected with their knee.
    The person's knee dislocated...and I fell down with a crack in my shin. Nice and painfull. One of the stupidest things I've done in a while, I'll admit that.

11. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Not surprising to be honest.
    Most of the really bad injuries I've ever seen have come from people 'playing around'... your guard is essentially down because it's not real combat... your relaxed, your comfortable, your confident... and WHAM-O!

It happens in many other sports and physical activities as well.

Avoid it if you can. :D

12. Sensei Matt

Sensei Matt New Member

shadow if it still hurts its your bodys way of telling you, you may need to rest the shin impacks for a bit longer, trying to fight through a pain that your not comfortable with is not good, you can end up doing more damage then good cos you will not commit to the strike as you do so normaly thus performing a poor technique incorrect impack back to square 1 with dodgy shin.

13. PlumDragon

PlumDragon "I am your evil stimulus"

I tell customers day in and day out, Ive never used a recipe that didnt do what it was supposed to (and Ive used LOOOOOOTS of recipes) if it was made right. What I have used are recipes that were either watered-down to save on cost or werent made/stored/bottled as well as it could have been, etc. In this case you just have to use more to get the same effect.

Bottom line, I suppose Im agreeing with you. While the effects of various liniments, liquids, etc will vary with the recipe used, to some degree or another, they all do what they are supposed to.

14. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Man, have you tried icing it after a workout (ice, not icing). I don't want you walking round with chocolate icing on your leg thinking who the hell suggested this. :D Certainly helps me with my ankles. Not too sure exactly how long you should ice it for but this may help.

15. Jutsuka

Jutsuka New Member

Hey man I had a similar problem after my first grading. I had coped a knee right in the side of my knee which bruised the tendon joining your inner thigh muscle to the knee and calf.

I couldn't walk for days. But I started slowly rehabilitating it with weights and running. Icing and heat treatments. And slowly got back to form.

As my injury wasn't a break, or bone related it healed relatively quickly. But in your case I'd go slow as on the bag. And try to be patient, I know it sucks not being able to train, but it is better to heal an continue than continue to hurt yourself. Rehabilitation can be tedious but do it properly or you will regret it.

16. Shadow_of_Evil

Oh man, rehabilitation is my middle name ;)
    I've broken almost every bone in my body that I can think of. That's what happens after 15 years of fighting and lots of motocross. Boy do I regret it ;)

Anyhoo. Thanks heaps for the advice fellas. Been a great help. I guess I'll just bite the bullet and take my time...despite how mentally painfull it'll be.