Weighted Vest Training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Ero-Sennin, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

To jump right in, I have military plate carrier (body armor, flak) sitting around and am thinking of filling some sand bags up, duct taping them up and using that to create a weighted vest (I don't have the armor for the vest, it's just the armor "holder" so it weighs nothing right now). I would like to get some opinions on what I plan to do with this though, mostly because adding weight to your body to exercise doesn't always transfer to safe and effective.

There are two specific exercises I want to use the weighted vest for. The first is jumping rope to build more calf endurance/power and hopefully foot speed in the ring (boxing). I'm going to cut down the length of time I jump rope with it at the start because it will be a new stress to my joints (most likely 2 min rnds) and work up to my normal routine (5x5min rnds). I'll also focus a lot more on the calf involvement with jumping rope as well (jumping with both legs instead of hopping from one foot to another).

The second would be using the vest for my walks. Currently I'm doing a 4 mile speed walk in the morning and evening (8 mile total). While next week I'm going to start running this distance in the morning, I only plan on using the vest when I'm just walking, if I run I won't take the vest with me.

Does anyone think this may end up being too much stress on my joint or have any experience doing something like this? My activity level throughout the day along with boxing training is pretty high and I'm a little concerned with putting too much stress on my joints. Any input is welcomed.

I haven no idea what the vest will weight once I get the sand bags filled in it, but if I were to make a good guess I would say it will be anywhere from 30 - 40 lbs.

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

could you post the instructions for making a weighted vest?

i've been reduced to putting plates on my back and doing weighted push ups that way.

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I would definitely not skip with a weighted vest. The impact on the ankles can be quite heavy when skipping and where the knees are involved the rewards are not worth the risk.

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

When I was doing weighted vest training, it was during a lot of padwork and movement work (with the odd push ups/squats/chin ups)

Just to push me through the tired,sluggish times (which is usually 30secs into round 1 :D )

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Seconded, it sounds like it would be hell on the achilles.
    For skipping, can't you just skip faster?

6. Ero-Sennin

This is actually a major concern for me which is why I posed the thread. I'll probably still try it out for at least a week, but the time of the round will be shortened greatly and it will probably be done only 2 days a week. I'm not too worried about the stress of the extra weight because of the volume I plan on doing and I'll be jumping with both legs, so both legs will be taking the impact vs. one leg. I think the advice not to do it is warranted and I should probably follow it, but I'll probably still give it a go for a week.

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Walking yes, skipping no

Hindu squats in a weighted vest may be a good option instead

8. Ero-Sennin

I'm kind of at a point where I'm not going to get any faster skipping rope. I can only build endurance to maintain the speed. Hoping to get some power generation out of this from the calf along with added endurance for the speed honestly. It will probably be a very minor part of my training routine (3-4 min. actual work time over rounds max), especially in the start.

All in all I guess my initial worries about skipping rope are all that there is to worry about. Hopefully since the weight is in a more natural position than something like ankle weights I'll be decent, first sign of "ow" and I'll probably stop. Hopefully that "ow" isn't a serious injury :eek:.

9. Simon

There are much better exercises. Box jumps for example and they'll work a wider range of muscle groups.

Skipping is a cardio exercise, the weighted vest isn't going to help your cardio, certainly not in this case.

Don't do skipping jumping from both legs, rather try pistol squats with just your body weight.

This is also an exercise where you can use the weighted vest. Although I doubt you'll need it.

Listen to Uncle Simon and don't skip with a weight vest. :D

10. Ero-Sennin

Hindu squats are squats where you stay up on your toes right? I was doing those for a little bit but it ended up being an exercise that really bothered my knees and had to quit. I'm not sure if I ever want to incorporate a weight vest with any kind of movement beyond walking to burn some extra calories, maybe for basic body weight exercises. I'll probably end up skipping the rope 10 times before I say "nope" too.

11. Ero-Sennin

@the bolded

What I'm trying to rationalize is that my goal for jumping rope with the vest is not for cardio, it's to build my calves up. I'm looking at it as a strength/power exercise done for short duration which is why I feel like I'm not breaking any taboo. Maybe I'm just being an idiot though?

12. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

pullups and planks (and burpees if you're particularly masochistic)

13. Ero-Sennin

Buy a military plate carrier and put heavy stuff in it : P. That's really all I'm doing.

14. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Just do weighted calf raises wearing the vest or

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_answer_for_massive_calves

15. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You might be going too deep. Do 3/4 drop until you build the strength. Because they are open chain then they actually rehab knees...eventually!

I would also just buy Ross Enamaits book "Never Gymless" and follow those protocols

16. Simon

Duck walks, bunny hops (if your knees are okay) and plain old calf raises.

You can use your weighted vest for duck walks. Here is a nice version.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvWYq1NAqVw"]Military Duck Walk Band Pull Aparts - Multi-task Exercise - Primal Fitness Systems - YouTube[/ame]

17. Ero-Sennin

Yeah, although I'm probably coming off as reluctant to take the advice given I'm starting to think there are other ways to get what I want out of this with less chance of injury. I'll probably just start doing some of the track exercises I know that are associated with this instead. Heck, I could probably get the same or better results from just doing Quarter Squat Jumps : P.

18. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Go CT Fletcher style and train calves everyday for bigger calves?

a bigger muscle is still potentially a stronger muscle. and as load increases it wont matter about rep range too much for an isolated muscle group

19. Simon

Maybe take up hill climbs on a push bike, weighted vest optional.

I've never seen a serious cyclist with weak calves.

20. Ero-Sennin

Being that I live in an urban area for miles around, I feel like a total weirdo gathering dirt in bags in the park :p