Weight Vest - Hiding the bloody thing?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Alixen, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Alixen

Alixen Valued Member

Hey MAP

I just got myself a 30kg Weight Vest. I plan on slowly building up the weights each week til I can barely feel it.

However, its the height of summer and I don't want to wander around looking like some sort of terrorist. I'm sure anyone who has one knows how bulky they can be. Last thing I want to do is be sat at a cafe and find out someones called the police via being surrounded by the bomb squad.

This is the model I have (wish i'd have found that review first too, but ah well): [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Weight-Vest-Lbs-Exercise-Training/dp/B001MKVEQG"]Amazon.com: Weight Vest: 60 Lbs Exercise Training Vest: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

I have two options; wear it over my clothing and hope people realise what it is, which doesn't appeal since i'd also prefer not to be ripped into by my pals who would find it hilarious. This may also draw more attention really, since what it is would only become obvious at a close distance - and even then not everyone knows what a weight vest IS.

My second and prefered option would be to wear a baggy t-shirt over it or something. Being summer I can't exacly do a jumper. Too hot for that. I'm having problems thinking of anything I could wear that would work. It has pretty pointy shoulders.

*sigh* I wish someone would just invent actual proper weighted clothing. Or if it exists make it easier to find. I'd love to own a t-shirt that goes thump when dropped.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  2. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Gary and I got something very similar. It's great for exercising, but I'd very strongly advise against wearing it out in public. Some people are stupid enough that they'll leap to the worst conclusion. Can you imagine getting tackled to the ground with the full 30kg on you? And definitely don't wear it under clothes - that's asking for trouble!

You could still wear it about the house and garden. If you spend enough time indoors then it's not necessarily a wasted purchase. Whilst out and about, a weighted backpack might be a second best option. You could even use the bricks from the vest to provide the extra weight.

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Why would you be sat at a cafe? Go to a big field if you want to run. Go to a gym if you want to workout.

4. Osu,

Wear it outside, no problem...
    Post the pictures on MAP! :)

Osu!

5. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

buy one from hyperwear. They are much lighter but are easily hidden.

6. Devil Hanzo

Devil Hanzo Doesn't tap to heel-hooks

You could wear the vest and the elevation training mask and go for a jog, see how fast people think you're a bio-terrorist.

[​IMG]

7. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Couldn't you just buy an enormous bulky coat to wear over the top of it? I know you'd sweat buckets but that's all part of getting fit, yes?

8. Alixen

Alixen Valued Member

Hehe, thanks for the funny, helpful and... interesting answers. That mask just might work. ;) ;)

That coat thing will work as winter comes on. I really am considering geting a lighter and more easily hidden one and using the bags to make some weighted jeans. I'm not going to bother re-selling it.

Can anyone advise a website that has weighted vests in/for the UK? That hyperwear looks interesting but seems to be a US site and if the red-faced and gasping postman was anything to go by they probobly won't deliver the weight for any price I can afford from another country. Not to mention the vests are stylish but waaay too light along with extremely expensive. Minimum I want to be able to build up to 40lbs - and would like even heavier. It's a long term project.

Til then I think i'll just wear it over a t-shirt after all and just answer any questions about it.

9. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Bookbag+heavey stuff inside of it = money saved and no violence against you.

10. Alixen

Alixen Valued Member

Not sufficent for what i'm after. I'm going for getting so used to the extra body weight that my body really thinks I weigh that much. Not just to get fitter; though that is obviously part of it. Wearing 20pounds in it now and starting to foerget i'm wearing it. In another week i'll add another 10pounds and so forth.

Still, lack of violence would be nice. =P

I just need to find a more easily concealed weight vest that can be delivered in the uk now. I found one that you effectively just strap heavy duty weights to that looked like it could slip under a baggy t-shirt but haven't seen any others like it since.

11. holyheadjch

Why on earth would you want to do that?

What possible benefit do you hope to reap?

12. Alixen

Alixen Valued Member

General fitness and more. I have certain problems that effect my stamina and as such can't do sustained exercise too well. Wearing my 'exercise' in my daily activities allows me to build gradually, even if its just standing and washing up, and doesn't cause problems with my stamina in any way other than meaning I tire easier - and that will gradually lessen too. In about six months time i'll be able to take it off and hopefully, since i'll have been passively exercising, my level of fitness will be enough that i can mantain it without.

I also also enjoy my swordfighting and am training to be much faster than my current peak speed. But thats just scratching the surface and i'd prefer to stay on topic - which was 'what to wear over a weight vest' and has now changed to 'does anyone happen to know a uk-based website that delivers less bulky weight vests'.

13. holyheadjch

Nonsense.

All you're going to do is damage your shoulders.

If you want to increase your fitness level, do some exercise.
    If you want to get better at doing exercise, do some exercise.
    If you want to injure your shoulders, lug around 30lbs for hours at a time.

14. Alixen

Alixen Valued Member

Thank you for the thoughtful advice, however I would still like help with finding another vest thats a bit easier to conceal. ;)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  15. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

There's about 70-odd on ebay. That's where I'd be looking initially. Including some that are non-black. There's a few light blue and a couple of white ones that have more of an "I'm not a suicide bomber" look about them. They might be worth considering if you're planning to spend time in public in it.

Sadly I think that you'll find more weight = more bulk, however. Mine is 30kg and it's adjustable basically by having 30 pockets, each one big enough to fit a small metal brick.

16. Alixen

Alixen Valued Member

Hm, my ebay-fu is obviously weak. thanks i'll look harder. =/