weight training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by tang_sou_dao, Jul 19, 2004.

1. tang_sou_dao

tang_sou_dao YoU cAnT sEe Me!

why cant you train your whole body in one day instead of splitting the days up?

2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

You can and you can't - it depends on a lot of variables.

e.g.
    What are your goals?
    When did you last train?
    When are you next going to train?
    How much time have you got?
    What type of training are you going to do?
    What intensity?
    etc. etc.

:)

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

You can - and you should.

That is if you goal is physical performance to enhance your martial arts rather than cosmetics to impress your ego.

4. tang_sou_dao

goals- overall improved strength build bigger muscles
    1 or 2 days rest
    loads of time
    just using dumbbells
    intesity not too high

so it is alrite for me to work out all my muscles in 1 day? If so could you give me an example workout of exercises i could do just using a pair of dumbells

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

It was all going so well until the last wto points :D

1. Do build real functional strength you will need either more than DBs or VERY heavy DBs.
    2. Intensity MUST be HIGH.

6. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Isn't it possible to do both? Doing training for physical performance seems to have decent cosmetic effects?

7. Lao

Lao New Member

Overtraining for one thing. If you have a training goal and you injure yourself (locally, or via general overtraining syndrome malaise), you won't meet that goal.

Time is another straightforward answer. Rest periods are an important part of weight training. You need alot of free time to really train your "whole body".

Breaking it up allows you to actually work more intensely on given groups. If you work your chest really hard one day and it's sore the next, you can still work your lower body.

Finally, if you tire one muscle group out (say, your erector spinae) doing deadlifts, you're going to be hard pressed to do any other bending over exercises without hurting your lower back.

Smart sequencing of exercises can help, but you still run into exercises that will tire the same groups out, particularly stabilizers.

This assumes your training with relatively heavy loads. Lighter loads it's easier, but overtraining happens to aerobic athletes, too.

Need any more reasons?

8. tang_sou_dao

Hmmmmm, either i fork out for heavier dumbbell plates, (no room for barbell or machines an no money for gym.) or i buy a heavy bag of sand (bout 30 kg) and move it around, do compound moves like squats, power cleans im only 16. They pretty cheap. Also is there an alternative to the deadlift as i dnt have much weight. Im thinkin pull ups

9. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Your equipment doesn't match your expectations. :eek:

10. Master J

Master J "No style, no limitation"

I'm 16 too. i have a bench with a good few weights etc. I used to try to train everything in 1 workout but i just couldnt. I'm followng a plan now, like later on I'm gonna just do my chest and abs.

11. Lao

Lao New Member

Hmm. I think lunges would be a good subtitute for the deadlift given the weight you have. The deadlift is really a lower body exercise.

12. #1 Stutta

#1 Stutta The New Boot

Come on now. Who would want to train to boost their ego? I know I sure wouldn't :D

13. Lanakin

Lanakin It's all about discipline

Ok, ok guys. There's been ALOT of fuss about what works and what doesn't, and when I say alot.. Well.. It's come up more than enough. Now, working out your whole body on the same day isn't necessarily a bad thing, IF you can handle it. If you can't, you can go ahead and break it up into many different days. Go ahead. But if you're limited on equipment, full body workouts is the way to go. After all, we are martial artists, and we absolutely NEED to have full-body correlation, which means everything has to be in-sync persay. Not saying you should overdo it, because that'll be bad and maybe lead even into a decline. I forget the adress, but I think it was www.ercx.com or somewhat. Find a certain exercise for each major body part/s, and then have another set of exercises for when you need to switch your workout. This'll restimulate progress. Once you get so far into the workout, you just won't get much progress. Just do this, and DON'T QUIT. That's all you gotta do!

14. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

15. jokerlaughsatu

jokerlaughsatu New Member

Doesnt your school have a gym you can use?

16. TigerAn1

TigerAn1 A Southern Praying Mantis

..or use non-weight weight training. That is, use your own bodyweight. Parallel bar dips, pullups, incline push ups, upper body pushups, triceps press, squats- all can be done using no weights with excellent results! A great source to check is Matt Furey's website.

17. speed_dragon

speed_dragon Valued Member

lactoacid buildup and just not to get too worn out

18. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

www.trainforstrength.com is a lot better. It's a little annoying mowing through all the sales pitch to get down to what can be found much easier in other places.

19. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

ditto that

20. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Training the whole body in one day can be done. It can even be done within an hour of that day. It all depends on the exercises you pick and the routine you follow.

For myself, I started out bodybuilder style (3 sets 10 reps) to build strength and endurance. The rest periods between sets and exercises also do not exceed 1 minute. I also chose exercises that work the most muscle groups (multi-joint exercises). Every 3 sessions, I either increased the poundage or increased the reps (if I just wanted some variation. I also substitute exercises for similar muscle groups every two sessions (squats to lunges, barbell bench presses to DB bench presses, etc.)

At present I still do 1 or 2 sets for every exercise, rest between exercises is about 30 seconds, with all exercises done in one hour.