Warning: Stupid Question

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Mandras, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Mandras

Mandras Eats Ninjas For Breakfast

I decided a while ago that I was going to throw in a small bit of weight training, mostly to gain some mass and strength.
    I was planning on buying a pair of dumbbells but (hear comes the stupid part)
    I'm not sure what weight they should be.
    The only local place that sells them has them getting more expensive as you go in weight so I'd like to get this right. The weight they offer seems to range from 10-20kg.
    If it helps I weigh 60kg and am resonably strong for my size.

Hope that made some sense and help is much appreciated,
    Thanks

2. neb

neb Banned Banned

Buy a set of adjustable dumbells.

To build bulk - 7.5kgs and up will suffice.

For mass - I usually stay within the 10 - 12.5kg zone as I can reach 10 and above before my muscles fail.

If you are going to be bulding mass - you will need adjustable weights. No two ways about it. You won't keep growing unless you can up the weights as you get stronger.

If you're local shop is no good - search elsewhere or on a respectable online shop such as ukfitnesssupplies.

Hope this helps.

3. rocketone5

rocketone5 New Member

Mandras,
    what lifts do you plan to do? If you could get the adjustable weights that would be the best. If I had to guess, I would say get a pair of 25-30lbs each, if you only want to get one standard pair. But there are many more options out there. Bodyweight, cables, bands, sand bags, clubs, etc.
    I am sure other MAPs will give you tons of advice.

4. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

Adjustable, theres no two ways about it unless you have got lots of money to waste. It also depends what sort of program your planning on doing? Different exercises take different weights, so having one set weight will hinder you in one area while it progresses you in another, until you build and it just turns useless.
    For example, shoulder pressing usually takes twice the weight of a tricep extension or bicep curl, and half the weight of a dumbbell chest press (well for me anyways)

5. Mandras

yeah, that makes sense, I'll have a look around and see if I can find any adjustable weights.

rocketone5: what's 25-30lbs in kgs?

Thanks for the replies

6. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

11.3 - 13.6kg.

7. ItalianStallion

ItalianStallion Valued Member

What sort of exercises are you planning to do?

8. Mandras

Just some of the main exercises you can do with dumbbells like dumbbell press, one-arm dumbbell row etc.

I'm pretty new to this so feel free to make any suggestions :)

9. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Do some searches, there are millions of threads on this topic.

10. Mandras

Which topic?
    Exercises with dumbbells or how much weight to start off with?
    'Cos if its the latter, I'm not quite sure what to run a search on.

11. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

I gotta get mylself a couple adjustable dumbells.... :D