very weird question... reflex in foot

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by succubus, Jun 12, 2006.

1. succubus

succubus so hot right now

I figured here was as good a place to ask as any....

So this weekend I was told about a certain reflex you're supposed to have in your foot, so that when you run something along the sole of your foot (pressing quite hard), your toes are supposed to splay (think that's the right word).

The name of the reflex starts with a B or a V.... :p

but I don't have it. and, according to this guy, this supposedly indicates neurological damage.

Does anybody know what this reflex is called, or have any more info about it? I know my head is rather screwed in the first place, but I'd just like to check out if there's actually something here....

Thanks! ^_^

2. Uke's Mom

Uke's Mom Valued Member

The reflex is called the Babinski reflex.

There is a normal and an abnormal reflex to stroking the bottom of the foot in a certain way. Normal to the foot stroking, would be to have the toes curl, abnormal would be to see the great toe and point upward and splay

A positive babinski reflex is common in children under the age of two (due to developing neurological systems) . But after that time, it is considered an indication of injury to the corticospinal tract (connecting brain to spine). However, be aware that you can have many false positives with other diseases such as MS, or immediately after a seizure etc.. it is a neurological indication, therefore many neurological type disease proceses may yield a positive babinski reflex.