Vegan Martial Artists?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Fujimoru, May 11, 2014.

1. Fujimoru

Fujimoru Valued Member

Any Vegan MArtists here? Besides me. There are also vegan fitness forums with martial art sections but they are rather inactive. For me the vegan philosophy blends well with the martial art philosophy. I started veganism after learning of shaolin monks practices. Killing no living thing they still maintain a lifestyle of a strong martial warrrior peacefully.

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Shaolin Monks are vegan? Are you sure about that?

There are rumours that monks in Shaolin occasionally eat meat, too, but I couldn't find a reputable source for that.

3. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Being Chinese - And coming from a culture used to momentous feast and famine - I'd strongly suggest Shaolin Monks would eat anything they could get their hands on, when necessary.

As for veganism - Thank you for purposely shortening your lifespan.

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Former UFC Mac Danzig was a vegan.
    I know the Diaz Bros are very much into their organic foods, but don't think they are vegetarian.

Buddhist diet is vegetarian. In some Chinese restaurants you will see something called "Vegetarian Meat". This is basically flavoured dough of some sort to mimic the flavour.
    I haven't been to Temple for a while but they make veggie food taste awesome.

And I'm an avid carnivore :p

5. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I have been vegetarian for 35 years. Last week,

- my blood pressure was 71-117,
    - no diabetes problem.
    - no cholesterol problem.

Even just for these 3 benefits, that's good enough for me.

6. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

I'm vegan and have been for 19 years. I hadn't really seen any direct correlation between vegan philosophy and capoeira philosophy, but I feel good most of the time when I train. I don't really ask for more than that.

7. Kave

Kave Lunatic

But were his gloves leather? It must be pretty hard to be a vegan competing in fight sports, I wouldn't think that there would be very many vegan MMA gloves (or boxing gloves). It's probably similar to motorcycle racing, a very hard sport to compete in if you want to be vegan.

8. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I competed in Chinese wrestling tournament back in 1982, 1983, and 1984. I didn't feel any short-come as a vegetarian to compete in fight sports.

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  9. Mushroom

Can't comment on his gloves. Don't know if the ones he used were leather or not. (I assume they were, there wasn't much talk about changing it just for him)

Here's an online interview where he discusses his ideas on diet.

Ah, I do apologise. The link inside contains swearing in the comments. Please ignore those.

10. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

This reminds me of the frustrating is Buddhism a religion thread

Basically, no it's not. You shouldn't take life though. as monks in certain schools get supported by the local community and are given food they eat what is there. But it depends on which type of Buddhism as well.

The Dalai Lama eats meat due to health problems.

11. Mushroom

Yeah, like any religion there is various off shoots/sects etc. I know some who just don't eat beef, others are straight veggies. (Basically like my Hindu friends).

I'm don't practice Buddhism, despite my family having a couple of shrines about and doing the odd "superstitious" stuff related to it. But in general whenever we do go Temple it is strictly no meat for the day.

I was going to mention "loopholes" from perspectives of some monks, like you said, local communities will donate meat and they will eat it. But to many its kind of a choice.
    In the olden times there was mention that during a long pilgrimage, if you (a travelling monk) was starving and near death and you come across a carcass then you can eat it. The life has gone therefore it is nothing but a shell.

However if I wasn't in Hong Kong when I was being told this, I would think I was being trolled. Because I'm pretty sure PANDAS also follow the same philosophy. A Carnivore that chooses to be vegetarian, but will eat a dead animal when it comes across one. (info via documentary, narrated by Attenborough, so it must be true ;p)

Anyway, that's pretty much my very limited extent of knowledge.

= Back to thread

I am toying with the idea of going vegetarian for a while. Every Chinese New Year, I will go veggie for a couple of weeks. But its basically a lot of veggie noodle soup, whatever Parents cook etc (basically lots of carbs)

Currently trying to research Vegetarian recipes, kcal / nutritional content etc.

12. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Didn't the Mongols treat Buddhism as a religion prior to Soviet occupation? (it's my understanding that it's more a philosophy than a religion, as you say)

13. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Don't be fooled by their cute appearances.

I saw orangutans on TV catching and eating fish once.

The whole compassion thing and the precept about killing kinda points people towards vegetarianism, but it's not a hard and fast rule.

There's more meat eating in the Theravada schools than Mahayana schools. I'm over simplifying.

No idea - I wasn't there! And I never said that as I don't believe that :p I think you are getting confused over the two threads.

14. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

15. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

We had a vegetarian in the club....

we ate him ....

16. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

RIP Gary.... LOL :evil:

17. Fujimoru

Fujimoru Valued Member

ha , well I don't want to link to any site as it would be spam, just look on the webs...there are many examples of strong healthy vegans and vegetarians. I for one feel at least as strong as I did when I was a non vegan. There are also some supporting evedence that a plant based diet is more healthy, . Of course its a questionable debate and each side has support... and its a moral debate as well. So take it with a grain of salt. Or a whopping handful of salt like sumo wrestler.

18. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Lots of examples of weak, unhealthy vegetarians and vegans too. At best, you can say it makes no difference, but at worst...

19. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

Since weakness and ill-health are unknown amongst carnivores, you make an entirely convincing point.

20. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Yes, vegan for 26 years friend. Cheers.