Training with a Cold/Flu?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Princess Haru, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

The "sweat it out" approach balls too?

2. Bujin_Budoka

Bujin_Budoka Valued Member

Training while sick is not fair to others nor yourself. Coming from a military background I understand the desire to push past it, but it's not worth it. Rest does more good for your body than we realize. If a teacher is worth his salt he will care enough about his students to advise them to rest anyway. Rest and good nutrition always helps build the immune system and allow it to do what it does. A good teacher should know this. Treat yourself to some green tea, lay on the couch and watch some bruce lee movies. Train hard and train even smarter.

3. morgoth14

morgoth14 Valued Member

The old rule I have always heard used is this: If the cold i above the neck, go ahead and train. If it is below the neck, rest. Sometimes training with a head cold helps with breathing. But a chest cold is another matter.

*bows8

4. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

What?

5. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I'm still not back to running yet, after picking up flu redux just before xmas, but it hasn't affected my weight training. I managed a couple of PBs tonight :)

6. righty

righty Valued Member

Train at home like this if you like. However, remember that your head cold can easily go to the chest of someone else. So please keep your sickness to yourself and refrain from close contact (training) while sick.

7. Kemposhot

Kemposhot Valued Member

I tend to agree with this. Training at home when sick is fine as long as you're careful and don't over due it. However, no point in getting others sick that you train with.

8. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I agree, but up to a point. I'm still going to work but have this throat infection (possibly I've a higher chance of this as I've had some ENT surgery in the past) and haven't got back to running yet. My manager is also still going to work with a chest infection. So it's not just me be stubborn, but working in local government its not good atmosphere. I may not be able to afford to keep training if I don't have a job :(

9. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

I am glad this thread is here as I was curious about this myself. I was finally getting some awesome results from BJJ and got a horrible chest cold.

10. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Depends on how bad it is really. I never missed class for a cold flue. But I did miss it once for a migraine. Missed it plenty of times for uni work and family stuff.

Martial arts is something you do because you love doing it. Not because the world will end if you don't go. If you feel you're not fit then don't go. :)

11. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

If you have a common cold its still okay to do some training but if you have flu you are not going to be doing any training.What people often refer to as flu is no more than a very heavy cold.Flu will knock you backwards and the last thing you will want to do is train.The virus can also affect the heart and that is the reason it is dangerous to try and do any hard cardiovascular work when suffering from flu.Recovery takes at least three weeks.

12. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

And spare a thought for your training partners. I hate it when sick people think they can train through their sickness. Don't share that stuff... let it run it's lifecycle in your system and then once you're 100% come back and train. Anything else is ignorant and selfish.

13. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Suffering is meant to be shared. That's why it's contagious. :p

14. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

this! although i get ill very rarely i try to avoid giving it to my gf, so i go training and just work on weapons by myself in the corner rather than rolling round on the mat with the others =p

15. Ozid

Ozid Valued Member

Gonna apply buddhist wisdom here... You are always going to miss something, it is not really that important.

If you are sick your body is not ready for bodywork and you could get worst, resting will make you better. Do rest. That means, getting in the bed and sleep. Drinking much water and eating "healthy" food. Not staying at home watching TV or in the computer.

Anyhow, can't you go to class as spectator?