Training when sick

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Hapuka, May 11, 2007.

1. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I don't know if this topic has been posted before or not. Oh well.

Its winter time here in little New Zealand and I have seemed to pick up a virus of some sort. Its not a bad one (A bit of a stuffy nose and a head ache)
    But I was wondering if it would still be wise to train or not. :Alien:

2. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

If it's only a mild one then you're probably ok. However, bear in mind you'll risk spreading it to your training buddy's as well. Might not make you too popular!

3. Martialist4hire

Martialist4hire Valued Member

Last year, I went to a Systema seminar after having just recovered from the flu. I hadn't trained in over two weeks and hadn't been eating much. I had already paid in advance for the seminar and so I went any way.

I must say, that it was the worst training experience I've ever put myself through. The first day was eight hours of calisthenics and and hard body training. I wasn't even close to being recovered enough to perform on the par with the other martial artists at the seminar.

Not only was my training below standard, but the people I trained with got short changed as well. I feel bad that I wasn't able to give my training partners 100%.

4. DAMADAD

DAMADAD Valued Member

I was sick a few weeks back. I took it easy and skipped class and workouts until I got up to snuff. However I went back alittle early and wasn't fully recovered, jumped right back in and paid the price. Totally wasn't able to keep up. The next week I was fine.

5. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

IIRC, the general rule of thumb is that if you've got a fever, try to avoid trinaing. I'd also recommend that advice for tummy bugs. If it's just in your head, train as you feel up to it.

6. doc97

doc97 Valued Member

Good advice, when you have a fever, your body is using energy to fight off an infection. That's why we recomend rest, increase you fluid intake (cools down the body) and antipyretics such as tylenol or motrin. If you just have a mild cold, you should be ok to train. I would recomend however not to go 100%, because even a slight cold your body is still not up to par. Just take it easy and make sure you get plenty of rest at night.

7. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Hapuka you know your body best.

There have been times I have trained through Illness and came out the other side feeling better off for doing so, then on occasion it's backfired and I felt rotten. Your body will tell you if it thinks you shouldn't be training.