Things I wish I'd known when I started training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Frodocious, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Self myofascial release (credit to Frodocious for introducing me to that). It cleared up lingering damage in my obliques and spinal erector muscles really fast.

2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Have a training plan/log. Don't just turn up to the gym and see what equipment is free. Know exactly what you are going to do each gym visit: the exercises you are going to do; the weights you want to use; the number of sets/reps you will use or the conditioning routine you have planned. It saves time faffing around and gives you something to aim for. Try to have at least a month planned out in advance.

Keep a record of what you do each session. It makes it easy to monitor progress and, if you have to have break through injury/illness, it makes it easier to know where to start back from.

If motivation to train is a problem, arrange to train with a friend. It is much more difficult to ditch a session if you have to consider somebody else.

3. scm

scm Valued Member

I have to agree with this and I've learnt the hard way :(. I think this is particularly true for us older newbies as often we *are* quite committed to giving our new sport a good go and want to give 100% but our bodies aren't sufficiently conditioned to cope with all the wear and tear. Hold back a bit to start with and build up slowly is the approach I'll be taking from now on.

4. SenseiMattKlein

SenseiMattKlein Engage, Maverick

1. Don't assume you can still do what you used to be able to do. It is a recipe for injury.
    2. If your body says "I hurt and do not want to do this lift", listen to it.
    3. Learn how to breathe properly. It makes all the difference.
    4. Even if you are in a hurry, still warm up.
    5. The only one I am in competition with is myself.

5. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

Don't go to the gym between 1700 and 1900 and expect to have an easy time getting the equipment you want to use.

6. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Don't just jump in to the exercises - visualise the movements and what you want to do with your body. Helps me so much when doing squats and bench.

(actually I think I stepped on FOD's toes here a bit...)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  7. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

You don't need that exsessory work, if your only just benching 60kg then the best way to improve is benching, floor presses and chains are not important at your level.

full body work outs! I cringe at my old split from a year or two ago, it posted on here somewhere.

Anything more than 6 reps is bodybuilding.

Do your over head work! Everyone likes to talk about a big bench, but get your OHP up and you're bench will see to itself.

Just coz Bruce Lee/arnie/Ali did it dosen't mean it's right, in fact if it's Lee or arnie it's probably wrong, they had a number of things you don't ie anabolic assistance /genes etc.

You can never do too much research.

8. seiken steve

Oh since I was training in a council gym today.

Get your **** back on that bench muppet!

9. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

What do you mean by no accessories? Like one lift per muscle, or not hitting things like biceps/triceps etc.

Also when doing a FBW it's hard to hit everything within an hours time, any suggestions?

10. seiken steve

I mean floor presses, partials, board presses etc.

As to taking less time just stick to bare basics, they're all most people need.
    I would do something like

Squats, OHP, bench and Kroc rows finishing with ether core, dips and chins or core push ups and supine rows.

Then for work out two something like
    Squats, push press and power cleans with the same type of finisher as WO1

Add a separate day for Deadlifts and do any 'vanity' work you must then. But still try and use compounds i.e. Sub curls for power curls or really narrow neutral grip chins, and any of the hundreds of tricep exercises or narrow bench etc.

Obviously this is just a rough routine I made of the top if my head.

11. liero

liero Valued Member

Begginers don't need to keep up the classes resident professional fighter! If they try to and fail, at least don't whine about it!

12. Frodocious

Lift at a level that is appropriate to your experience and health.

Just because your mate (who has been lifting for years) can do a 3x bodyweight deadlift, it does not mean you should try one on your first session. Start light and increase the weight you lift slowly. Rushing to lift heavy weights will very likely end up with you injured. For the first few weeks you may make what seems like excellent progress, however some of this will be due to learning correct form and some will be because you started out well below your maximum weight on each lift. Leave your ego at the door. It is better to increase your lifts by 1kg a week over a year, than to try to add 20kg over a couple of weeks and end up injured!

If you have a pre-existing injury research whether or not all lifts are safe for you to do, e.g. if you have a shoulder injury, then barbell overhead pressing may not be a wise idea, but you may be able to use dumbbells. The same may be true for pull ups, you may be safer doing them using gymnastic rings than a fixed bar, as the rings will move and allow your shoulder to remain in a more comfortable movement plane. If you have a back injury, front squats may be a safer lift to use than back squats.

Remember that strength standards are different for males and females and most articles that list target weights to achieve are aimed at males.

To give you an idea of your progress have a look at the following link:

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  13. seiken steve

14. benkei

benkei Valued Member

I wish I'd known that conventional wisdom, and even professional advice regarding nutrition is for the most part terrible. If you want the best health, you have to go searching for the answers yourself, because even dieticians give outdated and erroneous advice.

15. Frodocious

Just to add to this...

Don't believe everything you read in the media. The difference between what is written in the newspapers and what was in the original research is often huge. In many cases journalists are not qualified scientists and therefore may be unable to criticially assess what they are reporting on. They also go for headlines and shock tactics and often what they report lacks the qualifying statements, exceptions and often the point/target group of the research. The same goes for diet books, they are usually written based on decades old research and rarely include up to the minute advice. Also authors tend err on the side of caution and don't want to be the first to publish a book based on reseach that counteracts conventional wisdom.

When you read about a new study in the newspaper or are looking for up to date diet advice, try to get the original research and read it critically. Sites such as Pubmed will give you abstracts and many journals nowadays are open access, so you don't need to work in academia to read them. The chances are that new research is a better indicator of the facts than a paper/study that is 30 years old. This is because, in the intervening 30 years, the knowledge base has increased and the technology available to scientists has become much more sophisticated and sensitive.

Don't dismiss a new idea because it counteracts what you've 'always been told' or because you think that those supporting it are a bunch of weirdos. A lot of the best websites for information can be populated by what I call 'fundamentalists'. They rave about whatever the theme of the website is and severely attack anyone who questions them or doesn't conform to what they believe in. This attitude doesn't necessarily negate the information of the website! It's the same as in martial arts. Some people refuse to accept any system but theirs might have benefits, it doesn't mean their system is rubbish, just that the individuals with this 'fundamentalist' atttitude are closed minded, intolerant muppets. Most reasonable people can see the pros and cons of different ideas, and may subscribe to one view more than another. It doesn't mean they totallly dismiss other viewpoints without doing their research first.

16. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

All that debate is now in a new thread in OT (making this post look weird)...

17. Frodocious

To expand on this:

Learn to listen to your body and understand what it is telling you. This can be difficult for beginners who have no previous experiences to fall back on. Learn to differentiate between a muscle that is aching because you've just given it a really good workout, and a muscle that is sore because it is injured or on the way to being injured - this is particularly important for people with chronic, re-occurring injuries.

For example: I have a bad back, but experience tells me the difference between the muscles feeling tight/tingly when I've just done a heavy set of deadlifts and the muscle feeling sore because I've just reinjured them. The former I can easily treat with a hot bath or a heat pack, the latter needs 2,3,4 (or even more) weeks of complete rest and careful behaviour on my part.

Something for the women to think about: learn to understand how your monthly cycle affects your training. Some people don't have any problems and can carry on regardless. Other people feel really weak and get bad cramps and really can't train during their periods. Accept that this is the way your body is and plan it into a routine. Use the week of your period as a rest and recovery week, deload in your lifting, drop any activities that cause pain - e.g. rolling round on the floor in a bjj class with a 80kg male sitting on my stomach is the last thing I want to do if I have cramps! Also listen to your body with regards to your diet - do you suffer from anemia, if you do make sure you eat enough iron rich foods.

http://figureathlete.t-nation.com/free_online_article/diet_and_nutrition/pumping_iron

Edited to add another link.

Scroll down for some information about training through a menstrual cycle:

http://figureathlete.t-nation.com/f...ized_figure_training_part_ii_optimal_training

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  18. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Not to try lifting weights with the same warm-up my 16 year old son uses. Once was stupid, twice still isn't right 6 months later.

19. daggers

daggers Valued Member

one of the best ways to get in tune with your body feel, rhythm,timing, balance coordination is....dancing.
    my martial arts improved 10 fold after i spent a year learning breakdancing.

20. Jezzikial

Jezzikial Valued Member

Just wondering Fro, how much did you lift when you started out? I'm not doing any lifting right now, I don't really want to build any bulk (just more definition and of course strength) but I am doing push ups... I can't really physically do chin ups... I just hang there and shake lol.
    Anyway, I am not supposed to lift anything very heavy because of my back and whilst I always try to push myself in training, I don't want to go backwards and end up not being able to do any martial arts at all - so I was wondering that since you said push ups and sit ups aren't really enough, what would you recommend for own body weight training?