The rest of Pavel's Ab Program

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by DSDbronson, Nov 17, 2005.

1. DSDbronson

DSDbronson Master of Sports & Women

Is anybody using Bullet Proof Abs on here. I've already got all kinds of stuff(Medicine Ball, Stability Ball, Sandbags, Kettlebells, Pullup bar) worked in in a daily ab workout plan. Are you guys breaking it down as doing janda situps once in a while in your routine or are you going all out with the rest of the stuff that complements the Pavel-Janda Situp in his book "Bullet Proof Abs". I wouldn't mind working the rest of his complementary exercises in at least one day a week or every other week just for variety. Has anybody read the book? Do you feel those are the specific exercises to get you to his level, the Pavel-Janda Situp Level, or do feel a wide variety of Ross'ish core work would get you there too with a good deal of Stability ball work thrown in for extra measure?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
  2. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Have not read it, but was thinking of getting it. Would you recomend it?

3. DSDbronson

Depends on how this thread goes. It's basically about the Janda Situp. You know how Pavel's books are. Actually, it's the Pavel-Janda version and he gives a dozen or so other ab/lower back exercises to bring everything up to par to perform janda situps even more properly. I guess it's all about the perfect situp and using some other situp stuff he knows to be able to do it more perfectly. I don't know if he thinks this is the complete ab workout or just wants you to use the Janda situp perfectly within your regular core workout. At this point I'm not dropping everything and running for the Pavel-Janda(nor hindu squats). I wouldn't suggest that for you either. I like a lot of stuff I've gotten from Ross. It's funny I never thought of a one arm divebomber("hindu" pushup) till I saw Ross doing it.

4. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Cheers for that, I guess I will keep an eye on this thread before I make a decision.

5. DSDbronson

Even though it's sort of a unilateral book on the subject(do the janda situp) Pavel still brings a lot of stuff to the table that peaks your interest(not in a gay way though). I'm basically asking people on here what in the world they thought about the complementery ab exercises and if should throw those in the workout somewhere and maybe get to that perfect Janda situp.

6. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

I just found some instructions for the Janda situp at bodybuilding.com, will give it a shot today, I guess it should be clearer form there..

7. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Bronson, bro, I think you're a bit off if you think Bulletproof Abs was "only" talking about the Janda sit-up and "other moves to assist it". That book was the first place I saw the Saxon Side Bend and a few other movements. Sure, Pavel emphasizes the Janda, and by default, "The Pavelizer" (pure cheese, but a catchy name). Personally, I never really "felt" the Janda working right. I just can't get into the right groove, so I don't do them.

All in all, BPA is a pretty good book, with a nice variety of ab and core movements, nice descriptions and decent pictures.

8. MonkeysUncle

MonkeysUncle Shakin' like Bacon

If you can do the Janda correctly, it's great, but not the be all end all of abs. In light of that, he also gives other great exercises such as dragon flags, full contact twists, and generally has a lot of really useful information that can be used in other training. However, all his stuff is spendy, so Amazon.com is your best friend here. :D

9. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

This thread's 18 months old. Don't make me bust out the Thread Necromancer picture on you. :D

10. Da Xiong

Da Xiong Massochistic SOB

bulletproof abs book is good. about 1/3 of the book is showing excersizes for the ab paveliser, but there is a lot of good stuff- saxon side bend, full contact twist, dragon flag, one arm deadlift, etc. that are really worth while. good breathing excersizes and such. good read overall.

11. TheAngle

TheAngle Valued Member

I saw the abs video. Some new exercises. Just like any other ab exercises, they can build rectus abdominis. Physiologically they won't remove fat in my oppinion.

12. Da Xiong

Da Xiong Massochistic SOB

for good definition, diet and cardio are a must. doesn't matter how strong your abs are if you've got a wicked layer of fat over 'em.