The beginner's guide to flexibility

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Van Zandt, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Caleb Demarais

Caleb Demarais Valued Member

the problem i had with pavel was lack of detailed guidance especially compared to tom kurz. kurz's book is much wordier but gives you better structure for a workout.

2. Tin tin

Tin tin Valued Member

Just started anew club . We do a little warm and that's it no stretching . Just line work ,is this normal in most clubs

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I wouldn't worry too much. Some focus on stretching more than others. The main thing is the warm us, which should really replecate the movements you'll be doing in the lesson.

I stretch as part of the warm up, but the stretches are dynamic stretches such as I show in the video below.

You can see how this warms you up as well as improves your flexibility. This combined with arm swinging, hip, knee, neck and shoulder exercises may be all that is required in many classes.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgF2DLdtK2I"]Dynamic Hamstring Stretch.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

4. Quiark

Quiark New Member

Hello, I'm new and interested in doing splits and high kicks. After reading this whole thread, I'm still rather confused, I almost started doing dynamic stretching

Van Zandt: I found your blog and you're referring to it a few times, but blogpost tells me it's invite only and denies access. Do you think you could let me in? :love:

But definitely thanks for all the info, I will keep readin'.

5. amerikick

amerikick New Member

In China they kneel instead of sit. This strengthens their legs and allows for more flexibility, higher kicks, and bigger jumps. Sorry, but MAP has a no advertising policy. Please contact site Admin if you'd like to place an advert.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2012
  6. robert01

robert01 New Member

If you want to develop your flexibility then you have to start from lower age and continue every day. You can join gymnastic for that.

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I'm afraid this just isn't true.

You can develop flexibility at any age and you certainly don't need to join a gymnastic class.

8. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

In fact you could even argue that the flexibility developed at a young age through gymnastics (or dance) can be bad for long term health. This is because it is much more likely that you will over stretch ligaments and tendons when they are young and malleable and doing this can lead to problems when you get older, as too much flexibility in certain areas (e.g. knees, lower back, shoulders etc) can be as bad as too little.

9. Tigers R Sweet

Tigers R Sweet New Member

Hey guys, i've been creeping this board and thread for some time now, and i just wanna say that you guys are all very knowledgeable and helpful, with detailed answers and legitimate concern for each other's well-being...

Real great.

There's a wealth of knowledge in this thread, useful for anyone with any regard for flexibility whatsoever.

Thanks guys!!!

10. 60Rhino95

60Rhino95 New Member

I don't know what stretching I should be doing after my workouts to obtain flexibility, being able to do the splits after much time. What would be the recommended exercises?

11. cheng oi

cheng oi American Nightmare

how long is best 2 recover b4 stretching Again ?

12. Arnie

Arnie New Member

This is a great thread, one of the reasons I joined MAP was to become more flexible and this is the perfect starting point. Thanks.

13. Albi Dacdil

Albi Dacdil Valued Member

Holy crap-a-molly. I'm exhausted just reading about it. I used to push the limits, too, actually. But one thing even the pros have to do is easy days, doing short recovery workouts. Maybe two days of intense effort a week, couple of medium, couple of recovery days of 30mins recovery work. They will do 6 hours on some days, but not everyday. Maybe 2 days of 6 hours, 2 of 3 hours, and 2 of 30 mins easy recovery work. But always the cycling will work against you with the hips, this is true. I used to be a competitive cyclist, from the age of 7 was training good miles, and really became very inflexible, especially hip-wise. Hope it all worked out, brother.

14. Albi Dacdil

Sounds good. But bit of a waste reading the instructions that came with this thread, then. Goodly portion of it can be thrown out the door, being a fallacy. What a ride.

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Training methods change and improve over time. It's been, what? Nearly five years since I wrote the original post. People will still make gains following the advice I provided back then. But I've done a crapton more research and experimentation (with elite athletes and average joes alike at a human performance lab here in Manchester) and found time can be saved sticking with weights and isometrics. Dynamic stretching is okay as long as you stay in your static ROM or else it becomes ballistic. A lot of people don't realise their flexibility will disappear over time because they don't have the strength to go with it.

16. Albi Dacdil

Dynamic stretching is a "no-no", like ballistic. Now its ok. Hm. Who to believe.

17. Albi Dacdil

I didn't realize that was a response to me. Thought it was years ago. That was fast. Cool bro, that sounds good.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2013
  18. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Albi DACDIL, please don't use profanity (masked or otherwise) in your posts as it is against the ToS here on MAP. Thank you.

19. Albi Dacdil

Yep you're right. Apologies for that.

20. Albi Dacdil

Mmm, very interesting. I had a little look at Kurtz doing his dynamic after-workout stretch warm-down, and it was exactly identical to what we do in yoga. Only Kurtz (sorry if name is bit wrong) did more reps than we do. Looking at your information here, we do all of it in yoga class, except for the core of it, isometrics and the iron. But the strength-work is still done in bodyweight work, combined with static (passive and active) and dynamic work. We do very good comprehensive joint rotations, especially for the hips. We do a load of the exact static-active work that you are suggesting to the people. The core is worked a heap. Load of static-passive work. You'd be surprised at the strength requirements for the yoga. I get sore just like weights. Moderate soreness. It is common to think of yoga in docile passive terms, when there is often a lot more to it. I have read the suggestions you and Kurtz make. We do the same work, excepting the isometrics and weights. We do at least an equal amount of static-active, and dynamic, and joint rotation, in the way you describe, requiring and increasing strength. I'm not claiming it is better than isometrics plus weights. But there is bodyweight (strength) work in goodly measure. If you look at the type of asanas required of, say the intermediate or advanced level of yoga, it is obvious that it works to a very high degree of flexibility and strength. You need great strength, and core strength, for a great many of the asanas, increasing at the higher levels. The similarities between your advice and the yoga classes are virtually identical. Exact same exercises in every type of stretching besides isometric. Not all yoga methods are the same, though. There are plenty of schools around that will not work in the comprehensive way you do and I do in the classes I attend. However there are many that do it exactly your way, minus iso and the iron. I think the good thing about yoga is that, while they do not apply isometric and weights, what they do utilize with static-passive, static-active, dynamic, joint rotation, and bodyweight and strength work, they do very well. It is all rolled up together in a ball, in a very clever and effective way, for the methods they utilize. And in the classes I am pushed to work well with it all, unlike doing things alone. A lot gets done in that one hour, including strength. There is a degree of grunting and groaning that goes on in any yoga schools due to the demands of the strength work combined with stretch-work. Especially by me. Heart-rate goes right up at times as well.