The 600 press ups in an hour challenge.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by _sam_, Apr 26, 2010.

1. _sam_

_sam_ Valued Member

Anyone tried this?

Your ment to do 10 press ups every minute for 60 minutes, giving you 600 total. its not a bad workout, although for those not used to doing so many press ups in one session i'd do it on a day when you can get complete upper body rest for a day or 2 after.

Me and a mate tried this once a week for a month and after the 2nd week the DOMS we got the next day were no where near as bad as the first time we did it. plus it gets boring! but its not a bad challenge for every now and then, or as a one off to test strength etc.

2. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

WHere did you get this challenge from?

3. _sam_

_sam_ Valued Member

From a boxing forum i post on, one of the lads on there put a thread up saying he was about to attempt it, but he ended up stopping at like 320 i think it was.

4. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

I couldn't be bothered!

Clock press ups every few days or so is fine for me, thanks

5. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

What I am asking is what is the source of this challenge. I mean is something one of the lads just thought up, or is this an actual challenge that some experts came up with???

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

It'll sure make you good at push ups. Pretty easy to overdo that kind of routine though.

7. _sam_

_sam_ Valued Member

No idea bro, i'll try find out and let you know :cool:

8. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

just did this for 50 mins did the 500 and stopped think this is just like a man challenge to see who is manlier

9. _sam_

_sam_ Valued Member

I'm ex-forces mate so for me press ups (and pull ups) are no more than an old habit i cant shake. but as i say, this routine got boring pretty quick. it may be better as a now and then kind of thing to shock the body a little. burpees and squats could be interesting though.

I love little challenges like this though, the last one i tried was 100 burpee/press up/pull ups. its good but i found doing them in sets of 25 with 30 secs rest between sets better than just trying to bang out 100 in one go, otherwise i was breaking form etc.

10. _sam_

_sam_ Valued Member

Found the thread but it doesnt say whether he came up with it himself or if he read it somewhere.

11. _sam_

_sam_ Valued Member

Aint it bugging you that you didnt complete the 600? haha

Go on mate 100 more, just bang them out any way you can, 10s, 5s whatever, just get them done, the challenge is 600! haha

12. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

I agree, challenges like this are good every so often. I'm boxing every evening this week and then getting my knee done on Friday but I want to give this one a try when I can. Looks like a good challenge :)

Aside from anything else they do help with mental toughness.

13. _sam_

_sam_ Valued Member

Yeah its definately worth a go mate, and it is a challenge to get through the first time you try it. after the 2nd time i'd figured out how to pace myself with it tho, 200 in as few sets as possible to start, then follow the 10 per min rule to rest a little, then 200 in as few sets as poss again. by the 3rd week we were finished in 45 mins and the 4th week in 37 mins. so it was definately getting easier and lost its appeal.

Enjoy :cool:

14. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

yea it was bothering me still is I am going to try tomorrow, when I got to 400 my lower bowels started to tell me it was time to drop the kids off at the pool held out for as long as possible.

15. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Ah, a 600 burbee challenge would be pretty tough. I nearly threw up thinking about it.

16. _sam_

_sam_ Valued Member

Haha fair enough then

17. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

This would be very impressive

18. _sam_

_sam_ Valued Member

Yeah that's why i like the sound of it haha

I was looking at the prison burpee workout on a thread on here and marking them off from 30 to 0 works out at 465 or so, so it may be an idea to do them that way but still aim for 600 in an hour....though when it comes to burpees i prefer to superset tabata burpees with tabata squats (twice, back to back after a 3 mile run or hill sprints, twice per week) which is simply 16 mins of torture for the legs. i used to add 10 sets of bunny hops up the stadium steps near to where i run to finish off, but stopped this after almost smashing my face off the steps so many times i lost count :cool:

19. _sam_

_sam_ Valued Member

It would certainly be a challenge

20. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

That many press ups just becomes muscular endurance. Not a big deal.

I'm a big fan of the press up... but if you're going to go for a challenge I'd say get in some more range of movement than just a press up. As Sam posted... mix burpees into that and you will see people dropping like flies. :p

Work in chins and people will drop off even more. Work in short sprints and explosive squat hops and see the field thin a bit more. Want to thin that field down even more... make them pull off awkard heavy objects carry for time or distance. Make them get down and crawl through the mud with someone standing over them yelling. You're down to a few people interested now.

But just 600 press ups. Naw... I'd get a bit bored. It's not such a crazy number anyhow.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010