Sweaty panda................

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Su lin, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Ok, so I know I shouldn't admit this,being a lady and all. However, I have noticed recently that the fitter I get,the more I seem to be sweating. When I started training,even in the summer I wouldn't sweat a huge amount and wouldn't feel particularly dehydrated afterwards.
    These days though,I'm sweating like mad during sessions (not a pretty image I know,but bear with me!) and even though I drink lots of water/green/other tea I feel horribly dehydrated after sessions and in particular next morning.

Anyone have any tips or info?

2. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

[size=-1]Aluminium chloride based anti-perspirants work well, though some people can find they cause skin irritation.
    [/size]

3. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

But wouldn't it be bad for you trying to not sweat?

4. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

It's tricky, since sweating well is a sign your body has adapted to cooling itself efficiently during exercise. The antiperspirant would be useful for occasions when you really don't want to sweat, say for work. Sweating during workouts is fine though since your body is self regulating it's temperature well. I don't know whether this shortens in length as your body becomes more efficient, from personal experience though I would say it does.

5. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Cool.I don't really find it an issue day to day,just in training really. I don't mind sweating during training,it's just trying to combat the dehydration afterwards that I am really struggling with at the moment .I have tried drinking that Lucozade rehydration drink during and after sessions but doesn't seem to make that much,if any,difference at all.

6. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Su Lin,

The fitter you get the quicker your body can respond to temperature adjustment needs, hence the more you sweat. With your increased skill you are probably working harder than before without realising it, hence the greater need for the body to sweat anyway.

I'd suggest taking on water and salt to compensate, but time it right. Too early and you'll be dying to pee all your lesson. :D

Did you innocently post a thread title guaranteed to make all the men on MAP take a look? :Angel:

7. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Ta for the info JW :D

What kind of ratio you talking for water and salt?

And as for the title of the thread, of course I did ;)

8. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I don't set myself a ratio - I'm not that keen. I just bear in mind that all the while I am losing water while sweating I am losing salt as well - therefore if I take in water but not salt I will get a headache. I find the easiest thing to do is to drink plenty during the day and during training if possible. Immediately after training have a big drink of water and a small pack of peanuts. Only then venture near alcohol.

9. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Guilty...

10. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Maybe what you should try is gentley drinking a pint of water after a workout. If you add about half a level teaspoon (no more) of salt to it it may help also. Sometimes when you are dehydrated it is in fact because you have lost salt through sweating. Its a recommended re-hydration method.

11. SteelyPhil

SteelyPhil Messiah of Lovelamb

12. Emil

Emil Valued Member

The fitter you get, the faster you sweat and the more you are able to train at a high intensity, therefore the more you sweat. A fit person should start to sweat very early into an exercise session as this shows that the body is able to cool itself down very quickly.

13. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Hmmm I must be getting pretty fit these days then as it starts almost immediately .:D

14. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

I also have the same porblem as Su. I feel thirsty and it doesn't stop until next morning. I would suggest honey mixed with water until the water turns a translucent gold colour. It's sweet and refreshing (and good for you :) ).

15. Sparx

Sparx Valued Member

The dehydration may be down to the tea you drink. Tea dehydrates your body in a similar way that alcohol dehydrates your brain. There's is a fancy word for it but I can't remmeber. I did this work when studying the kidney. So maybe a cutdown on the ammount of tea before workout?

16. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

tyr shaving your pits you silly panda :rolleyes:

17. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

there was a study released not long ago that reckons that tea is healthier than water and that it doesn't dehydrate you.

Maybe the problem isn't drinking enough after the exercise, maybe its not drinking enough beforehand. Preventing dehydration is more important than fixing it afterwards...and as for the sweat, might just have to be one of those things you have to deal with.

18. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Hey G I don't have hairy pits!!! :D

I do tend to drink a lot during the day before training,mainly water or organic white/green or rooibos tea.

19. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

Typical Brit, all about the tea. :D

20. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

:D I hate "normal" tea though,never drink your normal pg tips etc,just the "good stuff" :)