Super Jump?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Orangeseger, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Orangeseger

Orangeseger YouTube =/= Training

Question for you all. I've been wondering for a while what is the best way to increase a person's jump height. But more importantly, I want to know how to go about doing it safely, as I don't want to mess up my knees in training. Is there a "golden ratio" of body weight to muscle strength that yields the best results?

So what kind of exercises can I do to increase my jump, both standing, and while in motion? (My vert is enough to dunk, but only when I'm fresh...I lose height when tired.) I just thought it would be awesome to jump even higher.

And one more thing...what's the highest recorded vertical jump? (In case anyone knows off hand...but I'm gonna go look on the net anyway.)

2. gornex

gornex Valued Member

plyometrics is probably the best way to increase vertical. highest jumps i am not sure of, check out like nate robinson or spud webb. 2 short basketball players with amazing dunks

3. Orangeseger

Any specific exercises? (I'm not too familiar with plyometrics, but I'll look it up.)

4. Journeyman

Journeyman Valued Member

David Thompson(who played for the Denver Nuggets) had tremendous vertical leaping ability.

5. Orangeseger

I like the stuff I read about training in water. (Easy for me, I have quick access to the ocean, and I can always use a pool.)

6. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Plyometrics are only good for some people, generally people who have a good amount of strength. You might get some results but nothing compared to what you could get. It's also really easy to over-train them and mess up your joints.

www.higher-faster-sports.com

Great website with tons of really good articles. Kelly's book is excellent too.

7. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

Squats and Olympic lifting movements are a much safer alternative to plyometrics.