Stomach Vaccum

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Apotheosis, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Whats the typical "rep range" for the stomach vaccum?

Is it a 5 reps of 20 seconds, or is it a 20 rep deal?

I know it's up to the individual, but in your typical ab workout what how many would you do?

Also, is it possible to do it wrong and seriously hurt yourself?

Just asking as I tried it today for the first time and it feels like I'm crushing my organs(not quite as extreme as it sounds, but it doesn't feel "right").

I don't want to literally pop a gasket...

2. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Try PM'ing Taekwondo Guy. He has done a bit of research on Vaccum Training.

3. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

4. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Calling you out KickChick! I have seen Taekwondo Guy's pics on BB'ing forums so I know how he looks, let's see your work! Pics lady! Pics!

5. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

So 1 contraction equals 1 set?

I have a question on the technique, in your linked topic you say that you take a deep breath in, expand the chest and then exhale while "sucking" in the stomach..

On the linked article, it just says you exhale all your air and then suck in you stomach while pushing your chest out...

So does it matter if you take a deep breath first, or not?

Are you supposed to be sucking in your stomach while your exhaling or do you exhale all your air first and then suck in the stomach?

Thanks for your patience, the exercise just seems really odd to me and unlike most exercises I do, it is completely new to me.

6. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

LOL take my word for it. I believe all of my posts here in the H&F forum speak for themselves. (H&F mod "Colucci" has seen me in person. He can vouch that I am in fairly good shape :) )

I have seen several ways to do the vacuum... taking a deep breath first for me worked better for me in order to elevate the chest ( ;) ) rather than just exhaling right away. Bear in mind you DO NOT HOLD your breath during this.

Start out from a kneeling position on all fours. Once you master the vacuum in this position, you can also perform it in an upright kneeling, seated, or standing position. The more you practice the easier it is to do.

The "vacuum" also refers to a bodybuilder pose as shown here by Frank Zane :) http://totallifesuccess.com/wiki/index.php/Shrink_Your_Waist

Oh and I believe the article states that holding it for 20 seconds is one rep and three reps is a set.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2007
  7. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

I do it all day whenever I gotta moment. I mean it's not really like you can add anymore resistance than your muscles will let you.

8. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

Last edited: Jan 7, 2007