Should you do pullups everyday?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by DSDbronson, Sep 28, 2005.

1. DSDbronson

DSDbronson Master of Sports & Women

Who was it that wrote the peak period to wait to rework a muscle is 3 to 4 days which should enable you to add more weight to your lifts? Know it wasn't just some internet article or post somewhere.

2. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

For a long time the military did pushups, pullups, and running as their main source of determing fitness levels and conditioning their troops.

Let's try to not get into that compound vs isolation argument again. I think the concensus is the majority (75% 79% 84.675% whatever) of your lifting should be compound movements and isolation should come secondary if it's needed for strength imbalances (or it's beach time :p ). I've said it myself that I've added a bit of bicep isolation (strictly for grappling purposes mind you...yeah, that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

A muscle generally requires 48-72 hours to recover, so go for it...work it out again after 2-3 days. Bodybuilders might not hit a muscle gropu twice a week but I don't suppose you don't need to when you do 500 sets for each muslce group (okay, a slight exageration). When it comes to strength, I often look to powerlifters, olympic lifters, strength athletes, and strongmen and they will typically hit each muscle group 2-3 times a week (except oly lifters who work the same muscle group 700 times a week).

3. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

Tender and nubile ears? :D bahahhahahhaha

4. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

With Olympic lifts... according to a guy i know who does oly lifting theres no Eccentric or something so you don't directly kill any muscle group allowing you to train up to about 12 times a week hehe.

Tender and nubile ears, BWAAHAHAH

5. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

^some elite lifters have up to 7 * hour long sessions a day!!

6. blessed_samurai

I can go with that; they also tend to train with low volume so they can train frequently.

7. JKNEIEIOMMC

JKNEIEIOMMC New Member

Got disagree slighlty with the comment on no eccentric motion. Eccentric action is where the muscle is contracting with gravity, i.e on the down phases of a squat. Olympic lifters will have some eccentric contraction when doing the snatch all be it for a very short period but will still encounter it. If any doubts this try doing the snatch in slow motion and you'll feel it on your quads as you pump the bar over your head. Source of information is from a 2 time Scottish Weightlifting Champion and British Weightlifting Champion.

8. Taliesin

Taliesin Valued Member

It must be only the US army that doesn't believe in pull ups. I can assure you that the British army has a rather sadistic likeing for them. Also, I seem to remember reading that French Foreign Legionnaires have to do a number of pull ups before each meal.

9. blessed_samurai

JKN,

Yes, there is some eccentric portion of the lifts in the oly lifts but it's very little. It's rare that the snatch is performed in slow speed and when the full snatch is performed, the athlete "bounces" out of the bottom position; they do not hold it like a powerlifter does.

Most of the Oly lifters training is not spent on the full portion of the lifts but on modified oly lifts and accessory work.

10. koto_ryu

koto_ryu Common sense is uncommon

Jack Dempsey used to do up to 300 pullups a day while he was in training. You can do pull-ups every day, just don't push yourself to the point of exhaustion each time.

11. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I'm still waiting for DSD Bronson to post just what is so deadly about pull ups!!:D

Funny, last I checked the US military still did them. The US Army definitely has them. Just maybe they aren't keen on divulging the 'secret' to people who work in bus depots. :D

Last edited: Oct 3, 2005
  12. DSDbronson

DSDbronson Master of Sports & Women

Just the opposite. One guy was telling me about all the different stuff he was going for and the different stuff they put you through. I think you missed the link to the guy that gets you ready for the different physical fitness tests of the different branches. We've all moved on. "Divulging secrets", BWAHAHAHAHAH!!!

13. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Well I'm up to two out of three... :cry:

14. JKNEIEIOMMC

JKNEIEIOMMC New Member

Blessed Samurai,

I spent 2 years training with Olympic Lifters and in particular a former Scottish Coach. I think his name was Jim Sillars. I'm not saying the Snatch should be performed in slow motion, I merely said for anyone douting the eccentric action try it in slow motion. When training with them they would spend time working on strengthening the legs to control the weight on the down phase as many competitors had torn muscles simply from the bouncing action as there muscles hadn't been conditioned for the down phase.

15. blessed_samurai

And this I will completely agree with. I haven't had the chance to work with a lot of good oly lifters but I do have a part-time coach that worked at the USA Regional Weight Lifting Center who has a national level coaching certificate and is finishing his Ph.D. in exercise phys with a specialty in bio-motor mechanics.

I hope you will share what you have learned in your time working with the athletes that you have; glad to have you on board. :)