Shifted Pelvis?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Cownose, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Cownose

Cownose Valued Member

Ok, so the sports therapist says I have shifted my pelvis. I think it happened when I was squatting, so I assume I was doing something wrong...it might be because I have to use a power rack (no squat racks in my gym :cry: ), but I heard those are still pretty safe. I always thought I had good form, but this makes me wonder if perhaps the form used in the power rack is different from that used with free weights...so basically, it hurts like a bitch, I can't punch or kick, and it needs to not happen again. Anyone have experience with this kind of injury, or any advice on how to avoid it when I start squatting again?

2. ladystar

ladystar Valued Member

Ouch!

Hugs, Cownose!

A good physical therapist can guide you to strengthening the muscles that will help keep your hip aligned. :love: My hips are constantly off, too, mostly because I forget to include these exercises.. :bang:

One benefit of when I do them - I'm more sensitive to, and aware of my physical movements, and can usually avoid re-injuring. :eek:

Good luck! and blessings... luv, Jess

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

When you say "Power rack" do you mean smith machine? Is the bar fixed into a vertical plane of motion? If so - THAT is your problem.

4. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

I have been wondering as of late if this is my issue too. I feel like my left hip or lower back is out of alignment or summat. I think it is from throwing 1000's of side kicks. So, I have a Sciatic (sp?) nerve problem on the left side. Doctors just keep telling me to do sit ups. Yeah situps are great for strenghtening your midsection, but the damn thing is still out of alignment. Whaaahaa!

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Have you had a sports Physiotherapist take a look?

6. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Actually, i am not sure - lol. I had a Physical Therapist look, and they gave me various ways to do sit ups, but these did not solve the problem. I saw an actual surgeon and this moron made me wait 2 hours and 15 minutes and then when he finally saw me he said "do sit ups" I am at my end with the medical profession.

I suppose i should ask my doctor to refer me to someone who specializes in sports medicine. it doesn't make sense to be in solid shape and have this issue, and have fat doctors tell me to do sit ups.

7. Cownose

Cownose Valued Member

Yeah, I meant smith machine...couldn't think of the name at the time. So is there no safe way to use one of them for squats? Because otherwise I can't think of any other ways I could do squats, and that would suck :cry:

8. MattN

MattN Valued Member

I'd rather not do squats and just do deadlifts than use a smith machine

edit: check out this thread http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27545

Last edited: Feb 27, 2005
  9. Cownose

Cownose Valued Member

Too bad I suck at those and only DL half of what I squat :eek: Definitely need to work on that...