Running with weighted rucksack

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Smitfire, May 10, 2010.

1. MrGalt

MrGalt Valued Member

You didn't.

That's the most self-destructive thing I've ever heard. Who's your orthopedic surgeon? If you don't have one now you should start looking. Just come to Osaka and I'll bash you in the knees with a hammer and at least one of us will get some entertainment that way.

As for the large boulders thing, that's silly. What constitutes a "large boulder?" What martial art and what country? How strong do you suppose these people were?

2. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Though the ankle weights is a bad idea, there is stuff like sled dragging that is similar to what he's saying that is actually really good for you.

3. MrGalt

MrGalt Valued Member

Something tells me his mental image is something from DBZ or Ranma 1/2, not proper athletic training.

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Sled dragging and resisted running (elastic cables) is fairly standard training these days.
    Especially for a strong and explosive double leg shoot.

5. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Yeah, sled dragging is fairly common in Rugby League training.

6. Grizzly

Grizzly Valued Member

Haha, hurting myself shouldn't bother you. You know, on the old masters, I saw it on either history or discovery years ago. They would take rocks between 20 and 100lbs. and actually tie it to students. It is pretty sadistic and aweful, but I have done worse.

Btw, 2- 1.5lb. weights is about the same amount I eat in a day, but my kicks are powerful and quick. Don't judge. Never did I reccomend it for anyone else.

7. MrGalt

MrGalt Valued Member

You shouldn't eat weights either.

Any time you post in a training thread with a "this is what I do" anecdote there's an element of recommendation.

8. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Agree! I had injured my knee joint by ankle weight before.

Try not to push yourself too hard. You train because your love to train and not because you force yourself to train. I run 4 miles and 3 times weekly for the past 30 years. The reason that I can still continue my running even today because I "enjoy" my running.

IMO, for any training, if you still have enough energy, and feel like to do some more but you force yourself to stop, so you can look forward to your next day training, you may still continue your training 30 years from today. If you force yourself too hard, you may quit that training within 10 years or even less.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  9. Grizzly

Grizzly Valued Member

Good point. Should have been a little more cautious.

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Try not to push yourself too hard. You train because your love to train and not because you force yourself to train. I run 4 miles and 3 times weekly for the past 30 years. The reason that I can still continue my running even today because I "enjoy" my running.

Absolutely. I've run in the past and really enjoyed that sense of freedom and movement. Sadly I pushed to much and got shin splints. Luckily I seem to be largely avoiding that at the moment.
    While my running is an adjunct to my martial arts I also enjoy it as a thing in itself.