Running & TC

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Seagull, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Seagull

Seagull Valued Member

Hi,

I am a Tai Chi (Yang) beginner have been practicing forms for two months. I am a runner and would run 30-45 min a day. Since I practice TC, I find it bit difficult to run for 30 min. due to knee numbness. I was told it would take three months to get rid of knee numbness. Is it so? After practicing Tai Chi for some time, wouldn't one get knee numbness?

Thanks

2. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Are you suggesting the numbness is a result of your running or from the practice of TC ?

I run 5 miles every other day (work permitting) with a speed march of 30lb over a distance of 9 miles every third weekend and I don't find any of that exercise conflicts with my martial arts study.

Dave

3. rivend

rivend Valued Member

May I ask if you ever have had a hairline fracture in your knee?

4. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

The ancient Chinese Tai Chi classics discuss this at length and all say the same thing - Go see your doctor !!!

5. Seagull

Seagull Valued Member

Numbness is the result of TC practice and only I experience it while running.

6. Seagull

Seagull Valued Member

No fracture thing at all.

7. Dave Humm

If you stop doing Tai Chi, I'm guessing the numbness stops whilst you're running ?

8. Seagull

Seagull Valued Member

That's true. Guess either I over-do Tai Chi or its because these days I really play forms bit slower than I would do regularly.

PS : Sorry for cross posting Dave. Thought TC sub forum could the appropriate place and now I know I had already placed my post in appropriate place :)

9. Dave Humm

No need to appologise mate.. Cross posting just makes keeping track of replies and where they've been made a tad confusing.

Go see a doctor and get yourself checked out, clearly there's something in the mechanical movements involved in TC which is creating the problem.

Dave

10. rivend

rivend Valued Member

Hello again... Yes get a professional opinion about it for sure. But can you explain what you think causes this.And it seems strange this would happen to a localized area on your body without some injury or nerve issue going on. This is interesting to me btw

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  11. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

You're probably stressing your knee in TC practice by one or more of the following- not having your upper and lower leg in correct alignment w/each other at all times,dragging your thigh behind rather than turning it at the same time as your waist,pushing your weight bearing knee-(forward OR rear leg)- too far forward in relation to your foot.

If you twist your upper leg and your lower leg doesn't turn the same amount at the same time then you're twisting the knee joint and it ain't made to do that.If your knee goes to far forward in relation to the foot you end up making a weight transference joint into a weght bearing joint,and it ain't made to do that neither.

Your malady doesn't surprise me at all.TC is terrible on the knee joints if errors such as the above are made,and such errors are quite common when beginning.You must ruthlessly analyze your mechanics,transitions,and final postures.I won't tell you not to go see a physician but unless there is something else wrong with you -(which is a possibility)- the above points are probably more likely to help than anything a doc might have to say other than to stop doing TC.

12. eyeofstorm

eyeofstorm Valued Member

El Medico has hit the nail on the head. It's almost certainly down to postural misalignments during your TC practice that's causing the knee numbness. It's likely that your GP won't spot it unless they're tai chi traned so talk to your tai chi instructor and get them to check the way you do your forms. Practice zhang zhuang to strengthen the muscles surrounding and supporting the knee joint but be sure your feet are aligned under the knees before any long standing!

13. Mr Smiles

Mr Smiles Valued Member

Im also running and practicing tai chi and i too have these problems. Ever since i practice tai chi ( only 6 months) i experience ''pain'' in my knees. This is when i come back from a run or a skate session (do not have these problems at all during skateboarding only skating). Although the difference is i notice this only after i come back from the sessions, not during. During i have whole other issues like muscle pain around the lower leg area, but this is more likely to be caused by bad shoes, form and experience.

14. Seagull

Seagull Valued Member

I believe it happens only when play the forms forms too slow

15. Seagull

Seagull Valued Member

Thanks. I will analyze the mechanics. Would keep updated . Thanks again :D

16. Mr Smiles

Mr Smiles Valued Member

Good luck and have fun. Tai Chi helped my breathing during running, in the sense that i can stay more relaxed and focussed. Great little trick im benefiting of is imagining the flow of my breath. Entering from the back going up, exiting from the front back in the earth. I tend to hyperventilate pre tai chi, i seem to be coping really well atm.

17. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I experienced something like this after coming back from a run. Tried to do some kata practice when I'd recovered but could feel some knee pain. Did some more gentle stretching, foam rolling, then rolling technique on the mats and it was gone after another half hour. My knees were a bit puffy and quads bulky immediately after the run. Seem okay now

18. Seagull

Seagull Valued Member

Thank you Mr Smiles, harukoraharu That really helps

19. Seagull

Seagull Valued Member

Today I did slow jog for 30 min..was good. I have not taken off (TC) in past two months, did today. Feeling better. Guess need some rest between. Thanks everyone. :D