Runners thread

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Seventh, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

I alternate between running moderate distances (between 3, 6 and 8 miles) either in training shoes or carrying a weighted daysack (back pack)

The process of resistance created by carrying the weight has a dramatic effect on your cardio vascular system however, it also places a greater strain on your heart (and of course body until one becomes conditioned to it).

At present I carry a training weight of 30lb in daysack and run/speed-march those distances (known as "Tabbing") sometimes I'll do this in boots and a pair of combat trousers, sometimes in trainers.

If anyone is interested in supplimenting their running with carrying additional weight to add resistsnce, I suggest the basic rule of thumb:

Start light (assuming you're already running comfortably with out weight), use a 2ltr soft drinks bottle filled with water - this weighs just under 5lb and, if you need, you can empty the bottle on route.

Slowly build upon the weight by adding an additional bottle as and when you see improvements in your running (without weight) however, it's important to remember that carrying additional weight places greater stresses on your body and you should not over do it, and not try to acheive great things in short periods of time.

Make sure that the additional weight is securely wrapped up in your back pack, having it move about will be uncomfortable and contribute to you ditching it, expect your feet, legs and joints to ache more than normal for a period of time, this is part of the conditioning proces, as will be the back ache you may suffer during the exercise, this is where the carrying of the weight will, over time, improve your core strength for that exercise.

Dave

Edit:

Here a link to my FB photo ablum detailing one specific training route which is very hilly.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1616514414868.2078984.1296571450&type=1

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  2. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Very beautiful route. I'm definitely envious as August's record heat has killed nearly everything green here in Houston. It's amazing how much scorched grass there is here right now.

paz,

dormindo

3. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

4. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

if you want to stress your CV system more, run further/faster.

if you want to stress the whole body with weight and make it stronger, squat.

i understand that if you are in the forces you need to run with weight, and being better at running with kit can only be a great thing, however we are not.

5. Dave Humm

Did you just try to lecture me ?

Bear in mind I was ASKED to elaborate on my personal training following a post from me in this thread. I run - a lot, and many of those I run with at club level (civis) also use weight as a means of resistance training. So it's not exclusive to members of the forces.

6. seiken steve

No i gave my opinnion on a public discusion board.

People may well use weighted running as a form of reistance training, people also use a shakeweight as a means of resistance training.

i appreciate someone asked for your methods, I'm just not keen on sitting here while someone is advised to use a less than optimum method of training that could potentially cause harm and discomfort. If you wish to run with weight (and you have to so props to you for training to be as good at your job as possible) go for it, but i feel people should know both sides of the coin before plodding out with a weight hanging precariously from their back.

7. Dave Humm

Steve,

Everything I posted was very generalised and merely an over view of the sort of stamina and strength based I personally under take as part of the regime involved in my military training. It wasn't intended to be a training program of any kind.

In terms of how my post could be interpreted by people reading it on a public forum, I think you're over reacting a little considering the many forums which exist on this site where you can find a plethora of "advice" about various fighting arts where one has a greater chance of being injured.

Anyway mate thanks for your comments, I have no intention of derailing the thread further by discussing the in's and out's of what you’re not keen about reading.

Dave

8. dormindo

And just to clarify my own position here, guys, I was just asking out of genuine curiosity, as I have no knowledge of how members of the armed forces train when it comes to something like running.

My own regimen is in preparation to run a half marathon (one of my goals in the 2011 goals thread, though the race actually takes place January 2012). As a result, I don't think that running with added weight would fit my training needs, but am certainly interested in what Mr. Humm does.

@Dave Humm: Is this strictly your personal methodology, or is it a regimen common in your branch of the forces?

@SeikanSteve: I've seen glimpses of your impressive weightlifting regimen, do you do any running? If so, what is your typical routine?

paz,

dormindo

9. seiken steve

I run before breakfast, 2-3 times a week, anything from an easy 3 miles to a very quick 1 mile.

After weight training I do hill sprints or interval running. If I feel masochistic I do shuttle runs, many times.

Frankly I run for boxing, as a result I'm good for a few 2 min rounds, when it comes to marathon running I'm no good to ask!

Respect for doing it though mate, I'd not fancy it!

10. dormindo

Nice routine. I have a boxing gym four blocks from where I live and when I run the neighborhood, I often see boxers out, getting their roadwork in.

No worries on the marathon thing. As much as I love running, I think that the half marathon is one of my 'I'm turning 40 next year and realized that, yes, one day I will die' kind of goals. ;)

paz,

dormindo

11. Dave Humm

The RAF Regiment requires it's troops to pass ROFA - Regiment Operational Fitness Assessment.

This test consists of two 'speed marches' the tougher of the two is a 6 miler carrying 34.4kg of weight in 1 hour 40 - that's nearly 80lb of weight wearing boots and combat clothing over mixed/undulating terrain.

Army (infantry) conduct CFT - Combat Fitness Test, of which, the longer of the two tests is 8 miles in 2 hours with (if my memory is correct) 25kg in weight. I have a lot of respect for the Army CFT, it's not a pleasant exercise.

Running (training) with weight is therefore something which is common within the armed forces. My personal training is naturally based upon my occupational requirements.

12. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Sprinting hurts me, yet I keep doing it. I think martial arts and training in general has the psychological effect of making me part masochistic.

13. dormindo

Definitely not for the faint of heart. Are such tests administered throughout a soldier's career at certain intervals?

Secondly, just out of curiosity, have you ever had the desire to compete in civilian fitness/running events?

paz,

dormindo

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  14. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I know what you mean.

Thanks for posting it. It helps.

15. Dave Humm

These tests are carried out annually although it's a safe bet that you'll do them more than that :)

I've run charity events in the past but I don't have a burning desire to get involved in club running or other events purely because I'm busy with work/family etc and, phys is already an integral part of my life. I could always be fitter but, it's balancing out the time/effort vs. other working/family commitments.

Dave

16. dormindo

Yesterday's run: 45 minute jog that covered 4.9 miles.

paz,

dormindo

17. lma

lma Valued Member

Im such a procrastinator! I always get a strong urge to start running this time of year..... when its to late and the weather is so bad. It wont stop raining till about April (apart from when it snows.)

18. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

4 miles: 29:55

19. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

2kms at 10 minutes. I feel so slow when I look back at my school days.

20. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Can I join in the fun?

I recently started running and am doing a 3k, 2 x 5ks and a 45 min run over 8 days. A bit of rowing and cycling too. I'll do HIIT once my base fitness is better.

I just went out for my 3k and did it in an embarrassing 18.21....I had to walk a good few hundred meters as the forest path was covered in ice with water over the top from a fresh downpour!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011