Real Life story for those who doubt Chinese medicine

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by jinkan, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You position has been clearly established early on because time and time again - despite recent attempts at retraction - you stated that conventional medicine is about keeping the individual ill for profit. In and of itself that is pretty damning indictment of an industry that has literally saved BILLIONS of lives

Now the second stage of the discussion is easy - some herbal stuff absolutely works. As I stated I take garlic, omega 3 and flax. These are not herbal per se, but dietary. Look at products - antioxidants galore! Spin do not think you can claim any conspiracy against herbal remedies. The vast majority of doctors without exception recommend lifestyle before anything else. Again efficacy of this does not invalidate conventional medical treatments

2. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

tl;dr

Has anyone posted this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhGuXCuDb1U&feature=related"]Tim Minchin's Storm the Animated Movie - YouTube[/ame]

3. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

4. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

5. Rhizome

Rhizome Super Valued Member

Homeopathy i will agree is aload of bunk which has been proven time and time again to be no better than placebo.

6. stephenk

stephenk Valued Member

If you have an opportunity to hang out with him, just let me know - I'll take your place.

7. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

An interesting read from WSJ:

8. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

You know, if you were going to try and defend alternative medicine, you could pick much better battlegrounds than chinese medicine, which as everybody knows is a load of old cobblers about rhino horn and tiger paws.

9. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I dont have a horse in this race so to speak. I haven’t really had any positive or negative experiences with TCM. I'm just posting info/articles which I think add to the general discussion.

10. Rhizome

Admittedly i don't know a great deal about TCM but i have done a little research and have never came across tiger paws etc as ingredients in any TCM formula, this is mostly a myth started by anti-alternative people who spread around that is what TCM formulas contain. Rhino Horn i have but i have heard that is a myth also, although ive never done any great deal of research like i say.

Some of the formulas do have funny names though but you'll find many common herbs in there formulas that Westeners use in their everyday cooking. Most well studied herbs, spices, berries and so on.

11. Knight_Errant

Now you're talking rubbish. It's common knowledge as reported on news programmes globally that chinese traditional medicine is responsible for the poaching of rhinos and tigers. This isn't 'anti alternative'- I'm something of a hippy myself- it's 'anti-bollocks', if you will.

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Ask slip -he knows far, far more about this than you or I

13. Rhizome

Like i said i haven't done a great deal of research and i was hardly stating my post as gospel as you can see so calm yourself down before you get worked up.

From the small amount of research ive done i have came across some literature that states Chinese shops of the past would sell all different parts of animals such as tiger paws and such but i can find nothing traditional chinese medicine especially in our current age to support his. Anyway i couldn't care im not a proponent of TCM nor do i support animal cruelty.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  14. Knight_Errant

That might be the case with the 'official' TCM shops, but there are many 'less than official' practitioners of TCM.

15. Rhizome

All i can find is that some chinese medicine shops in the markets in China selling these type of ingredients along with other bulk powdered herbs, roots etc. I can't find any literature from TCM that supports the use of these.

16. Knight_Errant

17. Rhizome

Anecdotal evidence mostly and what i was already searching although im sure if i went through the pages i would find out more. Either way ive yet to come across any literature from TCM about why its used, what for etc. Anyway like i said above i could care less about TCM and i don't support animal cruelty.

18. Knight_Errant

If you couldn't (note usage) care less about traditional chinese medicine, then you're hardly in the right thread now, are you? :)

19. Rhizome

Herbology is a big part of TCM and i thought i would add my view about it as a system of healing.

20. Knight_Errant

Yes, but I think there's a huge difference between traditional chinese medicine and herbalism; herbalism relies on plants producing chemicals which have a pharmacological effect. Comparing it to chinese medicine is really just like comparing it to egyptian medicine. Both chinese medicine and egyptian medicine are pseudo-religious methods of 'healing' that rely on things like symbology and the flow of a non-existent force called 'chi'.