question about h2o

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by saikyou, Jan 5, 2004.

1. saikyou

saikyou New Member

is it true that drinking too much water while working out will make your belly bigger?

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Bwaaaaahahahahaaaaaa

Ahem..... Nope.

3. totality

totality New Member

however, too much h2o whilst exercising WILL cause your body to function properly. have to watch out for that ;)

4. Nerevar

Nerevar A son of a mother

Yes, actually. IF you drink over several gallons of water (Read:Bathtubs) your belly will swell, Fill your stomach past maximium could be fatal. Chances of you doing this: 0.00001%
    Water is your friend.

5. abby

abby New Member

The only time I've ever heard of water being hazardous is in extreme cases. I remember reading someone one time about a marathon running drinking too much water and his/her salt content in the body dropped very low because he/she was only replacing the water, not the salt, lost in sweat.

But yeah, I agree with Maximicus on the chances of harming yourself.

6. totality

totality New Member

i've rarely known water to be hazardous, except in cases where one is covered with toasters.

7. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

If you don't want to take that 0.00001% risk, you can always go for Gatorade...

8. totality

totality New Member

gatorade is water!!! well...kind of.

9. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

Water...with flavor! :p

10. Nerevar

Just to be safe, why don't you refrain from liquids altogeather?:rolleyes:

11. Grifter

Grifter Edited by White Wizard

Drinking too much water can kill you. But youd have to drink more in a couple hours than you probably do in a day. Happens in the military every so often though.

12. Jack

Jack Valued Member

Drinking lots of water in a short time period can give you a bloated belly... nothing to worry about though, it passes.

13. saikyou

saikyou New Member

tnx for the nice replies guys! gallons in one sitting huh? he he he! never!

14. Dark Blade

Dark Blade It Roundhouse time

I remember when my house (big team type of house) at school has this thing called the "Kilburn challenge" (Kilburn being the name of the house)
    We gave this guy a jug of water and he had to drink it, he managed to chug a lot of it down.
    As he sat back in his seat under a roar of applauses, he stopped, he ran outside faster than anything you've seen, and probably more uncoordinatedly too, ran outside into the hallway (just outside the priests’ offices) and chucked it all up, the amount of water in the carpet was incredible.
    Very few of us shall ever forget that! :p

Conclusion:

Water through the day = Good
    Chugging = Bad.... Very Bad.

15. Thokk

Thokk Valued Member

Im not too sure about gatorade tho. Unless you're doing more than an hour or so of strenuous training, gatorade is just empty calories and has no advantage over water.

I also read somewhere that drinking excessive amounts of water (we're talking a lot of water here), while having horible effects on your body, gives you a cheap high. but for now im comfortable with a bladder thats smaller than a football and a digestive track that works...

16. Dark Blade

Dark Blade It Roundhouse time

I doubt it would give you any type of high.

17. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

18. abby

abby New Member

Just a side note. If you do get really thirsty and drink gallons of water in one sitting, go to a doctor! My uncle woke up one night very very thirsty. He drank over a gallon of water and still was thirsty. He went to the doctor and found out he had diabetes. (He was over 35 when he found out.) So extreme thirst can be a warning call of something else!

19. Nerevar

Basically, if your exercising and drink a gallon of water a day, good for you, your doing right. If your drinking a gallon of water an HOUR, baaaaad news, somethings wrong.

20. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

No, everyone knows it goes straight to your feet and makes your ankles swell up.