Pressure points? Nonsense or Real?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Ryan-T, Jan 26, 2010.

1. SCA

SCA Former Instructor

The pressure points I learned about in Hapkido didn't have anything to do with striking, pain compliance, vital spots, or ki concepts.

If you tell someone you're going to press a spot and press it, there isn't anything going to happen there. What they can be useful for, in a self defense context, is the body's natural reaction or inclination to move away from and not towards the pressure. This can be conducive for some grappling and throwing techniques, with timing being key.

2. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Sure it's not 100%, but they do need to be executed correctly and a lot of people think that correct use of kyusho is poking points - which it's not
    In essence it's a strike to disrupt the opponent's structure, frustrate their game etc that happens to be on a point that often creates an additional benefit like weakening a grip or knocking someone out

3. SCA

SCA Former Instructor

That's about my best understanding of them from my relatively limited experience in Hapkido, by the way. I'd be curious what @Thomas has to say on the matter though.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  4. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

If it needs to be accurately chances are very likely they won't work once they're mostly needed. In my opinion anyway.

But as I also mentioned: I saw people flinch because of them, but I still think it's at best an add-on.
    Aside from things like hitting the liver and such.

5. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Welcome to MAP!

Re-read my post.We weren't sparring that day,tho' we had many times in the past.

"when it mixed with varying degrees of force the brain goes haywire."
    That explains why I always see pro boxers staggering all over the ring from being struck at various levels of intensity.Except I don't.I also don't remember this ever happening to me when sparring or more.

No.It can confuse and put one off a little,but receiving varied power strikes from opponents can be a constant in a particular engagement . I don't see any one going major haywire. Even against Ali,who was one of the best at just such a tactic.

What does "entire being" mean?

One time a guy suddenly appeared in my face with his fist cocked back-then he was bending over gagging.Without thought I had struck him w/a vertical fist in the diaphragm area. I imagine if I'd struck him at a downward angle just below his naval he wouldn't have felt very good either.So debatable if any specific point mattered.

"gravity which is magnatisum, which is electricity"
    ????? really?

"Ch'i" IS just a word---with thousands of applications (different meanings). Yours isn't a viable one,at least the way you've worded it.

To make life simpler for you in the future----If "ch'i" is ever discussed one must define just what one means by the term in the context of the individual discussion. Otherwise it all just descends into mishmashed potatos! If you don't know much about any of the ch'i theories/practices/etc then you'd best leave it out of discussion.
    No,meridians are NOT another name for nerve-tho' perhaps that's what they really are!

Again,If you don't know much about ch'i theories/practices/etc then leave it out.

What exactly does all this electricity do? Are you expelling electricity into the opponent or something?

As to Dillman,he was a regular known 4th or 5th dan Isshin-Ryu guy before all this .It all started with one of the old guys coming to the US to teach the "hidden" locks/throws/etc & some pointing and theory in the Isshin katas.I was surprised these guys didn't already see the locks and things themselves.

Anyway,after the elder went home Dillman became The Master of the Pressure Point KO.You can look this stuff up in the old mags from the time.

I'd like to make one observation.Many of the "old masters" back in "the old days" were supposed to carry these sort of abilities. Yet whether in Okinawa,China,SE Asia,etc,I have yet to read one,just ONE documented account of a match,sportive or challenge,or even actual assaults/surprise attacks ending due to application of these skills.The regulars here will vouch when I say I'm familiar with a bit of MA history.

"Fine" points seem to only be much use when the opponents is already immobilized,or at least partially.And usually those are just pain inducing.

Again,welcome.Stick around,it's not a bad place at all.

Hannibal likes this.
  6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

The Old school karate guy is hohan soken, his own school still exists, it doesn't look anything like dilman's woo stuff.

7. Dunc

I understand the concern, but don't buy it much...

It's relatively straightforward to land a sufficiently accurate strike and, if you study it correctly, you can reduce your power and distance that the strike has to travel which increases accuracy (& makes it more difficult to counter) to get a good effect

Also, if they are additive to structural technique, then missing the target or your opponent not responding much to you hitting it doesn't negate the technique

I think, unfortunately, that many people teach things like kyusho without actually studying the subject because in a complaint situation you can get amazing results with very limited skill. As a result they extrapolate to some crazy places and understandably undermine the credibility of the whole subject

It's really the study of anatomy and no different from a boxer targeting the nose or chin. In some old schools kyusho include places for weapons to be effective (e.g. the location of arteries and vital organs), being able to target these is clearly a viable objective for a martial artist

8. Supertramp1981

Supertramp1981 Banned Banned

wow buddy don't hold back! but yeah you're probably right, i am a novice really, but someone asked my opinion and i gave it, i never claimed to be the master and commander of the seven seas. thank you for the welcome though

9. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I'm here with you.
    Too many people thinking it's a "one hit miracle" thingy.

I admit, I can only slightly get it on a logical way.
    It sounds stupid and might not make sense to most others: But since none of the points had any effect on me, I have real trouble to understand, why others have such pain in the moment.
    My former JJ-teacher was with me on that seminar and he doesn't just buy things like that and goes "Right, works!" if it doesn't.
    And even he reacted to some of the points, in a way, that they hurt, but wouldn't stop him from anything.

On me they don't even work in a compliant situation, so I have trouble even imagining how that might feel.

That's why I excluded liver shots and the such.

Dunc likes this.
  10. Dead_pool

Absolutely spot on!

Dunc likes this.
  11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

You picked a pressure point issue to post on :D

I hope you stick around, there's a lot you'll enjoy on MAP I'm sure, though the start has been tough :)

Dead_pool likes this.
  12. Dunc

Correct/smart understanding of kyusho takes this into account and it builds onto technique
    This is, in my view, exactly the same as grappling takes into account that some people are crazily flexible and certain locks wont work in practical terms (position & control first, sub later)

I'd add that kyusho, in the traditional definition of the term really means weak spots or targets if you like. It's NOT just about the location of bundles of nerves

Idiots like Dillman have hijacked the term I feel....

Latikos and Dead_pool like this.
  13. Supertramp1981

it was my understanding that the definition of kyusho means first second

14. Supertramp1981

thank you sir, i will definitely stick around, i find all of the different points of view very interesting, although i fell sometimes people go in a bit too hard and there isn't any need for it. but i have to say its been a reality check and sometimes thats whats needed! thanks again.

Mitch likes this.
  15. Dead_pool

16. Dead_pool

17. Supertramp1981

no
    you like wikipedia don't you? but no Kyusho means instant, straight away, first second. thats what it means

18. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Except for all the times when it has. but you ignore these. How many fights have you heard of that got stopped because a competitor got punched or kicked in the groin or took a thumb in the eye? That is pressure points at work. Pressure points are simple applied anatomy.

People like Dillman may delude the gullable (including themselves) but this does not detract from the reality that practical use of pressure points is part of many fights and is recognised in most arts and many sports. (although when sports recognise pressure points this is usually to ban applications that make use of them. (e.g. strikes to the groin.)

19. Dunc

In my experience the kanji usually used for kyusho translates as key point

And I’ve never had anyone teach it in the context of meridians, ki or anything other than straightforward anatomical description/explanation

Dead_pool likes this.
  20. Dead_pool

Actually that wasn't Wikipedia, it was Google translate, which I posted so that you could see a reference.

It also matches what I was taught when I trained Jujutsu under a Japanese lineage.

Have you a source for this "first second" thing? Was it your teacher, or another source?