Prehab

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by righty, Jul 26, 2013.

1. righty

righty Valued Member

My training volume has increased quite a bit including both martial arts and strength training. And so I am finding that sometimes I'm not quite as limber as I could be. Plus I've already had enough injuries so it would be awesome to prevent any more.

So I'm wanting to focus on keeping what mobility I have, especially when I see some poor examples around the place. I can't afford regular massages, so I'm looking at getting into some sort of regular program or something similar. however I don't really know where to start.

I've seen some of Kelly Starret's stuff and it looks good but I'm not really sure how to implement it. I'm thinking perhaps 5-10 minute sessions tacked onto other activities and maybe a longer session once a week might a good place to start.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Have you considered doing some yoga? Sun salutations is a good general stretching routine, also there are lots of modifications of it out there by various instructors for more specialized needs.

3. pascalywood

pascalywood Valued Member

I thought prehab was the place Britney's baby would go when he would turn 5.

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Those foam rollers are a good way to utilize a sort of self massage.

My massage therapist has been trying to get me to do this, but I haven't been very diligent. Truth is, I can handle the pain of massage therapy, but doing that to myself is something I have difficulty with.

Still, they are effective if you have the will.

6. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Other people to look up are Eric Cressey and Mike Robertson. They have a couple of good DVDs out (Inside Out and Magnificent Mobility) and Joe Defranco's mobility routines (Agile 8 and Simple 6) are also great. Foam rolling is good, both on a recovery day or at the beginning or end of a workout.

I tend to try to do a mobility warm up before lifting and foam rolling on a rest day. In the past I have also done foam rolling of specific body parts at the end of a session and made sure to cover the whole body in sessions each week.