Pre Navy SEAL Conditioning.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Ranzan, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

2 more years till i join up and i wanna be in good shape to make it through hell. Im a football and lacrosse player so im in DECENT not great decent shape lol how should i start out? tips from experts? Thanks

2. tort

tort Valued Member

push ups, sit ups, chin and pull ups, and running. you will run just about everywhere!!! basically you want to be in the best shape and once there you will be at the starting point for getting in shape for phase 1 of seal training.

good luck to you and your goal of wearing the coveted trident!!!

3. Hayseed

Hayseed Thread Killer

Learn to enjoy the refreshing sensation that pain coupled with exhaustion provides...seriously. Push-ups, you'll be doing into the thousands. It really doesn't matter what you do as long as when you do it, you practice developing the mindset to keep going. Swim. Swim as often as you can, you'll be doing alot of it. Try to get used to getting wet, and then as soon as you dry, get wet again, rinse, repeat.

Oh, learn as many good Jodies you can, they help.

I would recommend that you talk these kinds of things over with either a personal trainer, or the UDT/SEAL instructors at the Dive Motivator's Office, as many of them are pretty stressful(The exercises, not the Instructors...well, they're pretty stressfull too :D ).

You can take my advice with a grain of salt however, as I'm a SEAL Challenge Program washout myself. I didn't even get to BUDS. I still think it's good advice though. :)

Jodies
    A couple of favs.
    Superman is the man of steel,
    He's no match for a Navy SEAL,
    Sup & SEAL got into a fight,
    SEAL hit Sup with some kryptonite,
    SEAL put Sup in so much pain,
    Then he got it on with Lois Lane,
    ...there's a Batman verse too, but I can't remember it to save my life.

Runnin' through the jungle,
    it's hot & it's dry,
    ain't never gonna stop,
    for to stop is to die.

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

All the conditioning can't hurt... but more than anything... you want to be a strong swimmer. It's a major part of BUD's training. There are numerous places online (check YouTube for the Hellweek clips) and books out there that can give you a good look at what SEALs training consists of... all of them involve swimming.

Get a set of fins and get used to open water swimming. Fins can take some time to adjust to swimming with. Open water (eg. swimming in the ocean with a current and weather conditions and temp. variation) is as much mental as it is physical.

If you do anything that's going to benefit you in terms of readiness for going for the BUD's it's going to be slapping on the fins and getting your swimming skills down pat.

Good luck with it.

5. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

If you're not swimming try kayaking, a small white water kayak or even a playboat takes a lot of effort to move in a straight line at any speed, gives you something to carry when out the water as well. Breaks up that swimming so you don't get bored.

6. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander New Member

This is a good one.

Just remember; you get your "try out" in basics.
    I am assuming you will be going to Great Lakes(Great mistakes :D ).
    The try out is easy.
    As many push ups,sit ups and chi ups you can do in 2 minutes each.
    A run of 1.5-2 miles
    and 7 laps of an olympic size pool in jeans,shirt and maybe boots.
    That's usually your try out. Things may have changed,so don't quote me as such.
    All of that will culminate into a test that will consist of a 10 mile timed run
    and a 5 mile open ocean swim IF you make it through BUDs.

A small piece of advice,football players and athletes have been know to fall by the way side in droves.
    "Geeks and nerds" pass.
    Why?
    In BUDs/UDT; the physical side is easy. It's the will that fails.
    3 things to remember;
    1-if you need help,ASK.
    2- do what you're told. Those guys(instructors) have "been there and done that", so they know what works
    3- DO NOT QUIT!

SEALs are the guys who don't quit. EVER.

oh yea; number 4....get the word CAN'T out of your brain yesterday!

and the trick to getting through Hell Week;
    DO NOT QUIT!!! and stay away from that damn bell!
    You'll see it ;)

Good luck to you.
    you're going to need it :D

Damien

7. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

ile be staying far away from the bell thanks for the advice im going to start swimming and running alot more

8. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander New Member

I actually had one friend who made SEALs.
    During hell week,one day in particular; the DI's were following him WITH the bell.(just to make finding it easier ;) )

He stood up,walked over to the bell; and took a whiz all over it!

He proved his point
    :D

9. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

10. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

As Slip said, swim, swim and then swim some more. Running 5 miles a day isn't easy, but swimming that much is murderous.

Conditoning will help, but most of what you go through will be mental. My friend was in the SAS, and this guy was in INCREDIBLE shape when he joined up. He told me it was pointless. He easily completed the runs, while the others were still in the distance throwing up. The sargent just made him do burpees non stop until everyone finished. :eek:

11. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

i would love to do SAS if i lived on the other side of the world or the german GSG-9. But for now the seals will be good ive been keeping up with running but i need to discipline my selfe to swim more

12. PlumDragon

PlumDragon "I am your evil stimulus"

Do lots of flutter kicks--buy a pair of flippers and do flutter kicks with the flippers on.

Of course, the swimming and such is important, but when I was going through, any time basic trainees went for any of the special forces tryouts, they told them to jump in the pool and swim 2 laps--Thats really hard when youve got 500 people trying to swim across a pool that has no business fitting more than 50. So being in good shape isnt the only thing you need--work on your agressiveness, on taking initiative and getting done what you intend to get done, BEFORE the other guy.

After I left basic, I used to to do PT with the Exploxives Ordinance Disposal guys, who would run for a good 45 minutes in level 4 MOPP gear (chemical warfare crap) in the dead of summer. So load on the sweats and go for a looong run. Remove yoruself from yoru element.

I also remrember watching the PJs run everywhere in lines of 2 with a huge thick rope that had these metal weights on it--apparently the ropes weighed about 200 lbs. Each person held the rope with 1 hand. Every time someone would wash out or get recycled, each remaining member had to carry a tad more weight. I remember seeing that group dwindle down to 4 people...200 lbs amongst 4 peoples, double timing every where the went. Do some farmers walks, buy a weight vest and train with weight on yoru body (but dont over do it here, be careful). Do some core work and strengthen your back.

The point is, be creative; challenge yourself in new ways, try to come up with scenarios that will push your body in different ways; dont just go for a jog; take a jog while constantly intermixing little sprints, dropping for 20 pushups, spinning around to make yourself a tad dizzy, climb a jungle gym as you run by a park, etc, do a firemans carry...Get friends involved, play smear the queer, except you are ALWAYS the queer...Jsut be creative, have fun, and work HARD! =)

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  13. Otataral

Otataral Sapientes Gladio

Some of this is good information. I'm checking out hell week on you tube right now.

14. UtahSaintz

UtahSaintz Valued Member

Navy Seals, HA!

The British Royal Marines would properly put you through your paces son!

That aside, at 15 years old, be open to other career options. Because almost certainly guaranteed, the millitary, especially the special forces route, will not be ANYTHING like you expect.

I mean, you can do what you like, and as well you should, but the G.I. Jane movie with Demi Moore it ain't.

I'm currently serving with the British TA undergoing officer training and, let me tell you, I'd rather I didn't sign up in the first place.

15. budo_padawan

budo_padawan Valued Member

Running, swimming, running some more, doing push-ups and swimming a lot more is simple advice. You really need to objectively look inside yourself. Is military life compatible with you? You don't know until you're in; don't think you know what military life is like because a recruiter showed you pictures of bunch of guys smoking and joking on liberty. A SEAL is not just a temporary gig. They are professionals that make a career out of it; not just seeing if they can hack it. Sacrifice for and devotion to your country and your fellow SEALs should be the driving factors in your decision to pursue this carer path.

http://www.sealchallenge.navy.mil/seal/contractinstructions.aspx

16. noober

noober New Member

RUN RUN RUN!!! i was in the service, army and then navy and people always think strength is #1, but actually cardio is what you really need.. strenght tarining should be secondary.. i still run, and i usually run for 30 minutes, 3 days a week..30 minutes is optimal time for running because it takes 10-15 minutes to get the heart rate up, and then you get 15-20 minutes of cardio/fatburning. time is as important as distance in running... i would lift weights separately..don't mix them in the same workout because one will suffer, at least for me because i wouldn't have the energy to do both effectively.. 30 minutes is perfect. ohh and the REAL run doesn't start until you hit the 2 mile mark!!..good luck

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  17. slipthejab

Gotta love it... someone who's never served in either the SEAL's or in the Royal Marines and yet you wanna tell us who's putting who through what paces?!? :rolleyes:

All of which is made even more daft by the fact that if he's American he's not going to be able sign up for the Royal Marines... sweet Christ... insecure about your countries Spec Op's much?

ROTFLMAO!!! :p

18. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

lol thanks for all your replies ive been getting better lately i can do about 90-100 pushups non stop now more on a good day( i love pushups) i can run the 1.5 mile in under 10 minutes ( i know i need more running) Ive been a swimmer most of my life so im all set for that though i havent been swimming in a while.. Pullups the worst part i need to work on those any suggestions on how to get better and how to be able to do more

19. El-Guapo

El-Guapo MMA'ER

YEAH
    http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/69/

20. slipthejab

Just having been a swimmer isn't going to cut it. You need to be swimming with fins and going for time/distance. There are a ton of books/sites out there with the specific info the PT tests you need to meet in selection etc.

Your running times need be better as well. A 1.5 mile in 10 min. isn't that great. You need much better than that. Also look more into endurance and runs with a pack on and in boots. Makes a vast difference. You won't be doing your runs in selection wearing trainers... but in fatiques and with a pack and wearing boots. Massive difference.