Plyometrics daily

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Blevunly, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Blevunly

Blevunly Valued Member

Just somethign I've been thinking about and wanted to see others opinions on the matter. I've heard of people doing things like push ups daily. Where they do a set(non maximal) and then wait about an hour or so and do another set and continue throughout the day. I was wondering if this protocal would be good for plyometrics. Or if plyometrics would be to strenuous.

2. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Plyometrics are way too intense to train everyday, even waiting an hour or two between sessions. Even if you were to alter the particular exercises and sets/reps, the overall stress to the joints would add up very, very quickly and the liklihood for injury will skyrocket.

As with all training, you need to balance intensity and frequency; it's almost always an inverse proportion. A standard push-up without added resistance is fairly "easy" (for most), which is why people want to train it often. People aren't as eager to perform front squat 2-rep maxes everyday though.

3. Blevunly

Blevunly Valued Member

What about playing sports everyday that require running and/or jumping would that be just as stressfull?

4. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Yes. Especially the jumping.

5. Blevunly

Blevunly Valued Member

So how long until I see the negative effects of doing this?

6. Colucci

There's a fine line there, to be sure. If you're playing basketball or soccer or even sparring, 5 or 7 days a week full-out, no holding back, then yes, you're going to be hurting from it and it's going to have the same risks as going in the gym or track and training plyos.

However, there are many more variables when playing a sport versus training plyos. In a sports match, you may end up only perform the "exact" same movement a handful of times, compared to several sets dedicated to depth jumps or 3x8 clapping push-ups.

Also, in sport, in part because it usually lasts a long time (relative to a plyo workout), it's just like I was saying before, the length of the session limits the overall intensity you can put forth. As the saying goes, you can run fast, or you can run far, but you can't run very fast for very far.

7. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Thats a tough one. See, some people are just more fit then others, have better diets and get more sleep. So its hard to tell really. My guess is in about 5-8 weeks of doing intense exersise everyday, you would burn yourself out. Lots of gnarly side effects may come.

When I first got into the fitness game, I went all out for the first month because I had no concept of overtraining. Then I got a headache for 4 days straight ;)

8. Colucci

Like Prophet said, it can be different for everyone, based on their general condition and training experience.

The bottom line is, if we say "You won't experience dangerous side effects until training the full seven days in a row." Do you really still want to train for those first six days? :rolleyes:

Truth be told, you never know 100% until you try it. But the flipside is that if you do try it, there's a genuine chance of getting seriously jacked up...in a bad way.

9. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Agree with Colucci here.

I do plyo twice a week and have really seen improvements in myself. But I believe in the case of plyo that the saying "too much of a good thing" fits.

However, if you're willing to test your body out for a few weeks (if you get that far), do post your findings for us.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007