Personal training information

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by YouKnowWho, May 12, 2014.

1. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Every time some new member starts a thread, people always asked him the following questions:

- Who is your teacher?
    - How long have you trained?
    - Have you had any street fight experience?
    - How many people have you killed?

If the new member says that he

- doesn't know much, people may look down on his opinion.
    - is a bad dudes, people may attack him as self-promotion.

Is this necessary? You thought?

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

The first two questions are just a frame of reference for understanding someone's training. If you have decent training, that shouldn't bug you. I am proud of my teachers. if one isn't proud of them and wanting to talk about them, something is wrong.

People don't always ask the last two questions. They get into that if the new member comes in with a "I have the deadly street experience of MA" attitude. Or a "my art is more realistic for the streets than yours" attitude. That, rightfully, should be called out.

It is very interesting that the vast majority of these types end up answering with a lot of "self taught" "youtube learned" martial arts.

I only see people look down on new comers if they come in here acting like experts telling everyone else how it is. Or, again, acting like they know MA when they learned from youtube, but don't want to bother getting a real teacher. Overall, serious newcomers seem treated well here.

"Bad Dudes" are usually exposed as posers by the questions mentioned. That is why those questions are asked.

Occassionally, people here get a little overzealous, but it seems to me that the mods are good at stepping in when this happens.

This is a very well run forum IMO.

3. Kave

Kave Lunatic

I think finding out the training history of people is quite important if you want to discuss aspects of the martial arts. The way you would approach a discussion with someone who has been training in boxing under Freddie Roach for the last 10 years may be different from how you would approach a discussion from someone who had spent six months being trained by Ashida Kim in ninjutsu, or someone who had tried to pick-up Dillman Karate by watching Youtube videos.

Secondly, actual experience is a valid question, particularly if someone is claiming expertise. In MMA the opinion of a person with a winning record over 12 pro fights would (depending on what was being discussed) be worth a lot more than that of someone who hasn't fought. In terms of street violence, the opinion of someone who has been regularly exposed to street violence (possibly as a result of being in a certain profession) can carry more weight than than that of someone who has never encountered violence in a real-life situation.

There is no requirement for anyone to draw back the veil of anonymity, but you would be hard pressed to claim expertise while simultaneously being unwilling to disclose the source of your authority.

4. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Also when a new member asks a certain training question, he will receive the following comments:

- You should ask your teacher.
    - You should ask your coach.
    - You should ask your instructor.
    - You should ask your Sensei.

If he can get answer from his teacher, he won't ask question in the forum.

Again, are those comments proper? Your thought?

5. aaradia

Again, I don't think that is how it is usually asked. It is more like "have you asked your teacher? What did they say?" Or "you should ask your teacher, then come back here with what they said."

Some types of questions are ones an instructor should answer first. Then, others can chip in based on what that instructor says.

And often, the answer is that they DO get an answer from the teacher, so I don't think youare correct in saying " if he can get an answer from his teacher, he won't ask question in the forum."

Yes, this is a discussion forum, but people here don't want to contradict what an instructor says. That is a matter of respect. Nothing wrong with it. Plus, an instructor sees someone live, while we here don't often do so. Unless someone is brave enough to post a video clip.

I don't see it closing off conversation, but just one piece of a puzzle in the conversation. Big difference.

6. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I asked a general grappling question in a Judo forum. That was exactly the comments that I had received from many people in that forum. I had to tell them that my grappling instructor had passed away 28 years ago. Not everybody has instructor who is still alive. :)

7. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Ask your coach for technical advice and fine-tuning (that's what they are paid to provide). For questions that require a broader perspective it is perfectly appropriate to ask on internet forums. The trick is to judge which questions are better addressed to your coach, and which are better addressed to a internet forum. If you don't have an instructor then you need to get a instructor, unless you are a instructor or a very high level practitioner (in which case you should be getting advice from other coaches).

As an example, a boxer asking how to pivot his lead foot should probably ask his coach first. Doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked here as well, but it is a technique that can be better corrected in person and you are already paying for the advice. On the other hand, if your coach is tall and you are short, and you do not feel that your coach has the necessary understanding to be able to provide you with tactics appropriate for fighting against taller people, then asking questions on forums would be an appropriate way of seeking information.

8. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Good questions. I would ask:

1) How many walkers have you killed?
    2) How many people?
    3) Why?

some other questions that might be useful:

1) What is your name?
    2) What is your mission?
    3) What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

9. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

OK this is sort of trolling guys.....

I haven't owned a tv for 10 years and you are throwing in memes from the Walking Dead? THe Holy Grail?

I don't know about YouKnowWho but if you asked me this I would think you were taking the proverbial...

Mushroom? Et Tu Brutu!!

LFD

10. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Sorry - was just having some fun there.

I always have thought one purpose of all the questions posed to a new person here was to determine if they were a troll, someone here to sell something, or a legit new person. The answers themselves are important in terms of content, but also in the attitude with which they are answered. Which ties it in to the Walking Dead questions, which IMHO on the show are to separate the true loons from the people only mildly crazy from the world they are in. So the questions are to see if a newbie is a MAP sort of nut, or just a troll sort of nut.

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

If you aren't prepared for Z Day you are already dead to me

12. Alienfish360

Alienfish360 Valued Member

But which MA is the most useful for the apocolypse?

13. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

African or European?

14. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Let me add in the 3rd "general" subject here.

Whenever someone asks about "home training", he will always get the following comments.

- Training at home will develop bad habit for you.
    - You may do weight, flexibility, endurance, ...
    - You can't go wrong with heavy bag training.
    - You may hurt yourself through heavy bag training.
    - You may train partner drills without partner.

My concern is you just can't go to school to train forever. One day, your teacher will die at old age, you can't just stop your training at home for the rest of your life.

What's Your thought on this?

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  15. aaradia

Find another teacher?

One should never stop learning, no matter how advanced they become. Very Very few MAists in the entire world are at such an elite level that there is no one in their style to teach them more.

And even then, training with other masters would surely still bring new knowledge.

16. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

I agree with this statement. My grandmaster, who is the head of Senkotiros International travels the world holding seminars and also training with other masters in an attempt to help improve Senkotiros and expand his own personal knowledge. You never stop learning, sometimes I learn things as I am teaching class from my littlest (yes I just used that, forgive me AP English Lang teacher.) white belt.

17. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I've seen this a lot, and to be honest it's annoying to see. The person asking isn't asking his teacher, he's asking you, the MAP community. People who answer questions in this manner are just being lazy.

I also read a thread the other day where a guy clearly stated he couldn't get tuition at the moment due to personal circumstances. One of the first replies he got was one telling him to get tuition.

I think some people here, especially some veteran members, actually could try and be a little less antagonistic. I've even been a victim of antagonistic behaviour myself from a small handful of members and it's just unnecessary. Were all here to learn, not wang measure for whatever reason.

While the majority are generally fairly constructive, those of you who are not should probably take a step back and understand you were probably a little inexperienced, or struggling, etc, yourselves once.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  18. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

No one asked me these questions on my first post.

Baza

19. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

From a MOD point of view I am a little surprised at this. I do think we look after newbies quite well, but perhaps not.

Do you guys think we should be even more protective of our newer members?

20. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

I think you guys do just fine. I have been afforded protection from you guys in the past. It was one time but only one time it was required. People need to be able to express themselves and it is also true that some new members burst streight in without reading the TOS. Some shout from the rooftops how great they are while others are more realistic.

Mods do as they are required and protect when necessary from my own observations.

Baza