My doctor said to stop doing Taekwondo

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by bphan002, Apr 15, 2011.

1. bphan002

bphan002 Valued Member

Before I start Taekwondo is a big pat of my life and to hear my doctor tell me I need to stop doing it killed me inside.

This doctor was an orthopedic and said I had osteoarthritis of the hip. Some bone spurs have already developed and internal rotation of my hip is already limited. I cannot fully turn my hip internally to throw a roudhouse kick properly. It looks more like an angled upward front kick.

He was very very strongly against a hip replacement because of my age (25) and said if I do not stop Taekwondo and other impact activities I will have severe pain in the future.

Any options or solutions is greatly appreciated. I do not want to give up Taekwondo

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I would definately seek a second opinion before walking away from TKD. Our own Van Zandt is a similar age and has had a hip replacement. He was told he would never walk properly again or do the splits. Within a short while he was doing the spilts better than ever.

It may be worth sending him a PMand asking his advice. Tell him it was my suggestion.

It would be a blow to give up TKD, but there is so much else out there in MA land if that is what you are forced to do.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Bruce Lee was told he would never kick again - that was before he did his films

I agree with the second opinion option

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

My son had a similar problem. Get the 2nd opinion & start checking the local judo or boxing

5. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Honestly I think it should be a requirement that all doctors and physical therapists are involved in some kind of sport,MA or physical activity. I hate it when I hear about them telling someone they can't pursue their passion anymore. It's utter crap. Some of us can't stand sitting at home watching TV 4 hours a day.

Good luck with your hips I hope all turns out well.

6. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Because it's fun to be on crutches or in a wheel chair or be waiting for the next hip operation.
    Unfortunately there are alot of instructors out the that just plain teach in a dangerous way in terms of warm ups, stretches & training

7. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

I understand knowing your limits. But I think the doctor should be willing to find a way so that you may continue your passion, not just give it up entirely. I train with an MMA guy who had both knees destroyed in a car accident. After countless surgeries to fix them he was told that he'd be lucky to ever walk again. Yet here he is training and has already fought in an amateur MMA match.

8. Jabby Mcgee

Jabby Mcgee Valued Member

I agree with what others have said about getting a second opinion - but preferably someone trainined and qualified to deal with sports related problems. Although many physicians are a good port of call, if you have cancer, you'd be referred to an oncologist. It should be the same with sports.

9. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

When it comes to bones, an orthopedist is your guy.

If the injury is already affecting your TKD, then you can't do nothing.

What about hip resurfacing?

10. Mr.Black

Mr.Black Valued Member

Hi,

i think you should visit more doctors. Not saying this one is wrong but it is always the best to visit more of them so you have a clearer picture of situation.

I think hip replacement wouldn't be such a problem. There are so many people with operated or replaced hips or kneed and so on which continued to do very good. But don't take me seriously i am not educated much in this.

However another question for you is to ask how did you manage to tire up bones so much at 25? Or you trained inproperly, or you trained far too much, or booth.

My experiences with sport part of taekwondo is one year preparation for world championships. That one year damaged my both knees. Now i don't go 200% percent all the time and everything is ok. I had to admit that my body can't deal with so hard training, and it was the most hard part.

However i always have excuse that training so much isn't even natural or healthy at all :D

Hope some of this will help you

11. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

This illustrates plainly a HUGE problem I find with the medical world as a whole. I have banged into this my entire BBing career. Even at 261 I'm considered almost frighteningly obese according to most "standard" methods of weight measurement. I ask doctors making these statements what they know about body composition and I've literally been told "determing body comp is too subjective to be any type of useful measurement standard"... can you believe that?

The same holds true for sports. Most of the doctors I've run into wreak of cigarettes and carry a wicked beer belly and yet they are the keepers of medical wisdom? Most of these guys couldnt run to the toilet if they were about to poop their pants but they are going to tell you that you have to give up? If I had a dollar for every time I've been told to stop lifting and to "lose weight" I'd be writing this from my yacht in the caribbean.

For what its worth, after my achilles rupture I was told I'd be lucky to walk without a limp and that martial arts was simply not an option. I was a yellow belt when that happened. I'm a high-blue now. Its true I have limitations... I just havent run into them yet, lol.

Go to a sports medicine doctor. They'll have a MUCH more realistic appraisal of your situation. But temper any diagnosis with self-appraisal. You know what you can do, what you're WILLING to do and what price you're willing to pay to pursue your TKD.

I will say that there are so many other arts out there less dependent on kicking that you almost owe it to yourself to research them. As an ex-TKD practitioner I can tell you that there IS life AFTER TKD, lol....

Hope this helps...

12. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Many doctors really don't understand the different types of martial arts. They tend to state something out of biased mis-information.

13. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Excellent post Mikey!

14. argh - double post

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  15. Osu,

Of course, I believe you should take kyokushin i/o TKD, but that has nothing to do with your health!
    How does your doc knows you are growing bone spurs?
    Was an Xray taken?

Osu!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  16. Ashiro

Ashiro Doko wa neko desu ka

Doctors tell you you're fat?! Is that avatar picture you? Your shoulder is bigger than my head and I'm damn sure that ain't fat.

To OP:
    Definitely get a second opinion. I've known doctors personally and although they train for 6yrs then continuously in their field they have human limits and can get things wrong. I've got a lifelong condition that I often have to educate any new doctor about when I change docs after a move.

17. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

My doctor said the same thing to me about my knee when I had to had it operated on. As it is I'm expected to get a knee replacement in the future. I can tell you now when are that passionate about the martial arts, the worst thing you can do is quit (I learnt the hard way). Don't ignore what your doctors says, but now is the time for you to think outside of the box. Ok, so maybe you can't do a roundhouse kick. I can't do flying kicks anymore but there are other tools you can use instead in sparring and patterns. Your trainers, if they are any good, can adapt and accommodate to your hip problems. Is there anyway you can strengthen your hips through exercise and stretches?

18. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Goes to show that having a doctors doesn't necessarily mean you have common sense. What are they teaching at medicine schools these days?
    I've some real dumb asses in the medical industry.

19. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

Yes sir, that IS me and they DO tell me I'm well on my way to morbid obesity according to the BMI, which they all use. I had one doctor make that claim immediately upon hearing my weight. He'd never even seen me with a shirt off or broke out a tape measure... just heard 278 (at the time) and BLAM, instant fatty.

20. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

I agree with this. For people who had to study for years and pass rigorous exams, doctors can be such morons it's frightening. Myself and my brother were 'diagnosed' as kids with asthma. We had a cold/flu type infection that went away on its own. Yet this doctor wanted us to take Ventolin. He was giving this same diagnosis to local kids every time they came in with a respiratory issue.

So yeah, I agree with your point 'temper any diagnosis with self appraisal'.