Mid-workout drink

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Roual, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Roual

Roual Eternally curious...

When I was in the gym yesterday, I went to get a drink from the machine, and lo, they had run out of cups. This got me thinking two things.

1) Is water really the best thing to drink mid workout? Isn't there some sort of energy drink that would be better?

2) Can I fit my head inbetween the tap and the little drain at the bottom so I can get a drink?

I managed to find out on my own that the answer to number 2 is no, still wondering about number 1 though... do people on here drink water, or something else? Any thoughts?

2. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Two litres of semi skimmed milk with ~50g whey for me. I'm currently trying to gain weight.

3. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Two litres would be too much at one sitting for me, one would be ok. Any more than that is just a bit uncomfortable because of the lactose and bloating. I would drink half the milk and add something like peanut butter to up the calories, then drink more water.

Always drink water with workouts.

4. CosmicFish

I do usually end up with some left over at the end of the workout, which I drink during my post-workout chill. As for the bloating, I've just been putting up with it. The peanut butter idea sounds interesting though. I might try that.

5. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

If you're training for a marathon, gatorade is probably the best. Otherwise, stick to water (or milk, as mentioned above).

6. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Pretty much the same, though often without the whey. I tend to stick to water only if i'm cutting.

7. CosmicFish

Could that be because I nicked the idea from you in the first place? ;)

8. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

What does peanut butter dilute like in milk?
    Do you have to chew your drink down?

9. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

It probably mixes better if you use a blender.

10. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Yeah, otherwise you're just gonna be left with a big blob of peanut butter floating in your drink. Blend that badboy.

11. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Oh for heavens sake, quit being a bunch of whimps and chug the peanut butter straight from the jar! :D

12. CosmicFish

Yum.

13. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

I feel as though I have to share my happiness, and this seems to be the closest place to do it. :D I had 1/3 whey to 2/3 oats for ages, and it tasted disgusting, not even nesquik could disguise it. I just changed to 1/3 whey, 1/3 maltodextrin, 1/3 dextrin, and it tastes JUST LIKE NESQUIK!!! No nasty taste at all! :love: I think I could even drink it without flavouring and it would be fine. Yum yum yum. To get slightly back on track, I don't usually go in for mid-workout drinks, don't they tend to sit in your stomach a bit? :confused:

14. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

No way I could drink milk while working out. That comes postwork out for me when there is no risk of me painting the floor with milky spew :p.

I juice 1 lemon, add raw honey, and dilute with water.