Metabolic Drive- is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Cuchulain82, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

Okay, just like everyone else who reads T-Nation, I'm contemplating making the leap to Low Carb Grow/Metabolic Drive. However, the stuff isn't cheap. So, I have two questions:

(1) Is it worth it? I've never tried a really expensive protein before and can't imagine it will make a huge difference. However, I have no experience. Can anyone give their $0.02?

(2) If it is worth it, where is the best place to buy? Obviously it isn't on amazon. The T-nation store is pricey, so is there some place that sells cheaper? I googled it quickly but didn't have any luck.

Thanks!

-Cuch

2. redsandpalm

redsandpalm shut your beautiful face

AFAIK you won't get it cheaper than the web-site.

It's very good tasting stuff, it's a slow release protein though - so not really suitable for post-workout. It's a good one for an MRP or right before bed though.

As far as being worth it - it won't make you a monster just because you take it, but I think it's worth it for a pre-bed shake that tastes good and stops me from waking up with a caved-in stomach at 5am! :D

3. Cuchulain82

Thanks. I'm thinking of starting the V-Diet shortly, and that's the protein they recommend. For the diet I'll probably use it, but generally I don't know if I will get enough out of it to make it worth spending the $13/pound that it costs. I don't eat super clean and I'm not really training hard enough.

Quick question- if slow-digesting protein is what you want, then why not just eat some low fat cottage cheese before going to bed? That will do the same thing, right?

4. redsandpalm

redsandpalm shut your beautiful face

Sometimes I do - but metabolic drive tastes good, is cheaper, doesn't go off (within reason) & doesn't take up space in my fridge. I also like to make up a pretty hefty shake with a load of different things in it before bed, so I'm basically going to have a shake either way & may as well use a protein powder.

If you're doing the v-diet then you have to balance the cost against the cost of your normal weeks shop (which you won't be doing while on the diet). I would not do the v-diet without a high quality protein supplement, it doesn't have to be metabolic drive - but your bog standard whey supplement mightened be the best idea as it gets through the system pretty fast.

Personally I would be more inclined to just do a cut with normal foods.

5. JKD_forever

JKD_forever DEADLIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

what he said basicaly ^^^

i always have metabolic d in my arsenal, its actually not that pricy considering the quality of it.
    take it right before you go to sleep

6. Cuchulain82

A little update for all you regular MAP types:

(1) I did start the V-diet yesterday, and I did buy some Metabolic Drive. It really helps. I'm impressed by the quality of the protein- it blends easily, tastes good, and I feel full for much longer than other proteins.

(2) With that said, is everyone still of the consensus that the cheapest way to get it is to go to the biotest website? With shipping it came to close to $17/pound. That's too much. I can hack if for a little while because, as red said, I don't have to eat anything else. However, I would like to keep up with the stuff a least some of the time, so I'm willing to listen to anyone who knows otherwise.

7. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Hey Cuch, what's up. I got your e-mail, and I'll be hitting you back with one in just two seconds.

About the Metabolic Drive, it is pretty tasty stuff and it's all I've used for a while now. I haven't seen it anywhere besides the T-Nation store and if you do manage to find it somewhere, it might be a smaller size or otherwise different (like Biotest does with their other products - if it's on a store shelf, it's not 100% the same formula/package size as on the site).

It sill basically, yeah. It's a preference whether you want a drink or something to munch on. Samurai also turned me onto the alternative idea of eating a hard boiled egg or two before bed. The fats of the yolk will also slow digestion.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2006
  8. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Yup-egg(s)+cottage cheese=greatness before bed. Depending on how hardcore you are about the V-diet, you can always do this combo cause it won't be too hard on contemplating in the extra kcals away from what you're supposed to have.

9. Cuchulain82

I'm a pretty big fan of cottage cheese generally, so cottage cheese + eggs sounds spectacular. The fat from the yolk doesn't bother you?

I'm trying to be kind of hardcore about it. I did replace a scoop of protein w/a serving of peanut butter, but only because Dan John did as before. If things get desperate I might use the cottage cheese.