Members work out vids, ideas, challenges etc (formerly 'my one armed push ups')

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Fish Of Doom, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

thanks again, mate

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Ah no worries bro. I get off on this stuff. I spend so much time dealing with it I do it like it's second nature. It's funny though because coaching it online I have to really think it out a whole lot more to be able to communicate it. In person I will just show how it's done. It makes it easier but online where that's not quite the same method of transmission it really forces me to clearly think it out.

I've got a ton of stuff of I've shot... I just need to get it up and running... which means time sitting in front of the computer cutting it. But it's moving along nicely.

As well... here's a blog that I've started to put stuff up on as well:

http://ignite-strength.blogspot.com/

I've just installed the script for Google Analytics on it... so let's see how many hits I get. My initial post on there was some charity work that I did by giving 5 free outdoor PT session to the highest bidder with 100% of the proceeds going to the Angels for Orphans charity. A worthy cause for an orphanage in Cambodia... the Sunrise Children's Village.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  3. slipthejab

Ok new stuff to keep it real people!

IGNITE SC - alligator rows
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKESL2TuxfM"]YouTube- IGNITE SC - alligator rows[/ame]

4. Fish Of Doom

nice ones

i still have a bit of DOMS because of insufficient resting (and doing random exercises when i shouldn't have :p), so i'll try stringing together a routine to do tomorrow when i get back from tai chi and film it.

5. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Thanks for the replies on my squats. I think ill start doing single leg deadlifts. before adding weight to the single leg squats.

I'd like to see a video of someone doing a pullup with the lower part of the sternum touching the bar. I find it realy hard.

This is the only video I found of someone doing one.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHResOrhHSI&feature=related"]YouTube- Sternum pull ups Part 2- Post instant strength techniques[/ame]

6. slipthejab

I've got some chin up/pull up stuff coming up. I'll be sure to hit that particular movement. Let's see what I can do coaching wise to get you there. It's ****ing down with rain so might have to be in a gym... but you never know... there are some crazy fun pull up/chin up variations to be done in the rain as well.

Coming up!

7. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

I've just given them a go thinking they'd be easy and they're not! If slip or anyone else can give me some tips on how to do them properly I'll give them a go and try to get a vid of the attempt up for critique. The last few inches of ROM are the tricky bit for me. I wish I could say it's my huge biceps stopping me getting all the way but it's more likely poor technique!

8. slipthejab

IGNITE SC - YTA

Here's a great movement for mid and upper back, rear deltoids and your rotator cuffs.

IGNITE SC - YTA
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ7GLRa267k"]YouTube- IGNITE SC - YTA.wmv[/ame]

The name of this movement Y-T-A is because those are the letter shapes that you mimic doing the movement. It helps to cue people by using something like that when training them. Y is the arms upward, T is arms straight out at sides and A is arms down.

Let me know what you think people. Would be good to get more people hitting these movements and posting vids. We be all about integration not isolation! Get em up people... no excuses... phone vids, web cam vids... you name it get it up and get involved. Get amongst it!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  9. slipthejab

10. Fish Of Doom

awesome, slip!

but you really need to make a YTA video with the YMCA song :p

11. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

@slip:
    Is the half squat position important to the exercise (Y.T.A.)? Is it to encourage tightening of the core?

12. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

13. slipthejab

I like to stay a bit soft in the knees on most standing exercises... soft in the knees is somewhat a ready stance... as opposed to knees locked out. Those soft knee's help to keep the pressure off the lower back. You don't want all your load on the lumbar region. That slight bend helps to avoid that. I will go a bit deeper than just soft knee's... I find the feet between hip width and shoulder width apart is stable and strong. It's what I would refer to as rooting the lumbo-pelvic hip complex.

You also can actively work to keep that core rock solid. In fact it's a very good drill to be conscious of what's going on in your core as you do these. The core on this drill is in stabilization mode.

14. Simon

Okay I have another clip.

We call them bouncing press ups and the idea is to raise the entire body about 2" from the floor. In my opinion plyomtrics are great for punch speed and the use of resistance bands an excellent aid, but in the absence of resistance bands body weight can be used.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SimonSheridan1#p/a/u/0/ico8AzGWAMs

I tend not to do these now, but still like to throw them at the students now and again. You can also try moving side to side or even in a complete circle. Not as easy as you may think.

Go for a set of 50.

15. Fish Of Doom

i love those, haven't done them in ages, though

16. Simon

Thanks Fish. I had never seen them before I started with the Instructor I have now. My students hate them. They get to thirty or so and start to slow down.

17. slipthejab

Ok awesome! Now that looks tough. Hmm...good stuff. I've never seen these! Wow! I'll defo give them a try! So glad to see people keepin' the posts and the vids coming in this thread!

It's an awesome resource for MAP!

18. slipthejab

19. Simon

20. slipthejab

Yeah I shot about 10 different clips today... all in 75% humidity after a monster run up Victoria Peak and a massive bout of squat hops up stairs which I also filmed. Good stuff to come!

But hopefully the movement comes across. I have some variations on this which are even a tad harder.

What I'm really looking to do is to set up a system whereby people can start off with a more basic movement and then progress to this. I'm all about people finding success with movements.

So let's see if I can manage to put together a nice little series of pulling movements that are a progression from the very basic movements for the de-conditioned or novice person... to the mid-range challenge for the person who works out but has yet to really push the envelope... through to the hardcore training guys/gals that really want to wreck themselves.

Will get a few more bits of footage cut and up this week!