Maintanance During Long Layoffs

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by belltoller, Aug 13, 2013.

1. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Had Otolaryngological surgery last week and, although I knew it would be some time before I could resume sparring, I was told today at a post-op follow-up that even things like bending over, lifting objects over 2.5 kilos are off limits for nearly a month.

I'm already going mad and was horrified when they weighed me - I've gained five and one/half kilos in the week since my operation. I'd awaken from the surgery uncharacteristically hungry and the twin evils of being sedentary and a ravenous appetite have not been a good mix.

I've cut way down on the amount and types of food as I knew to do, but a those who've reached four-oh can attest, its an uphill battle keeping fat off even in the best circumstances.

I've been banished from being near water as well for a while. Outside of walking for 6 hours a day, anyone any suggestions?

Cheers,

2. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Relax - let your body heal - read a good book (OK it can be a martial one) - Your health is '1' you have already started to review your diet so that's fine....

CHILL DUDE :) :) :)

And best wishes for a speedy recovery...

3. belltoller

Thanks Robert. Maybe a good time to look at the Internal MA section I've heretofore been glossing over.

4. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Once you're sure you're healing well-enough...

Do Isometrics. Particularly using equipment. Get yourself an Isokinator or similar. That way you'll be able to strength train without any motion.

Also refrain from eating any Wheat (Gluten is estrogenic and causes you to retain water).

And eat more Protein and 'Good' Fat (particularly Saturated Fat - Yes you read that right - And Omega 3's) to regulate your hormones. And help you burn fat burn more efficiently.

And stay away from water ("Stay Out Of The Fog!")

Good Luck

5. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I was in a similar situation some 1.5 years ago. Pay attention to the doctor's instructions first and foremost. That's the worst part. :bang: :bang: Not knowing anything besides what you've given me, I'd just suggest laying off starchy/sugary foods. Do whatever exercises your doc allows you. Also be sure to continue getting sufficient water. It's still important when you're sedentary. If you work with a trainer or coach, he can help you as well.

My condolences, amigo. Post-op recovery is going to drive you insane, so try to occupy your mind with other things. Heal super quick! :)

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Suck it and go to a Muay Thai class.

Just kidding.

I made the mistake of rushing back to MA straight after my hip replacement. Put me back a long time. Second time around I was much more conservative with my efforts and now I'm back to 100%.

7. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I second the isometrics

8. belltoller

Thank you all kindly for the advisements. They have personal trainers and good CrossFit instructors where we do our MT and Boxing - I'll have one of them help with suggestions as well - I'm sure its common for them to be asked how to stay in shape without exerting themselves one iota.

It has been difficult staying out of trouble.

I became a wee over confident and bounded up several flights of stairs in an office building, instead of taking the lift.

I never felt anything, but realized I couldn't hear anything except for that tea-kettle ring that you hear when you been punched or kicked very hard in the face or head.

The docs wouldn't say outright but I know blood filled the spaces and Eustachian tubes. We could see blood leaking out the ear, despite all the rags they've packed away in there.

When I go back for a followup with the physicians, they'll remove any remaining outside sutures then take the stuffing out of me and have a look to see if everything's healed up nicely enough to allow for some activity.

The stuffings is a cross between sweeping compound garages use to mop up grease and parcel packing paper. Helps absorb blood and keeps things from rollin' 'round too much. Wonder what they didn't tie down?? :thinking:

9. belltoller

had a nice gif for that :bang:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  10. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

I find the easiest way of controlling my diet is only have healthy food in the fridge. Its easy to slip if you only have to walk to the refrigerator at 1 in the morning but if you have to go down the shops, its amazing how the urges can die away.

How about an exercise bicycle? the simple kind which don't move around. You can pick up a cheap one off eBay. Set it up in the tv room and put it in a nice easy gear and just peddle gently. You will be surprised at how much exercise you do in an evenings TV watching. (Check with your doctors first just in case an elevated heart rate can cause problems)

Visualizing activity is also helpful - I know its not the same as actually training and you have to resist the temptation to actually practice but if you visualize, forms or combinations/techniques it helps to keep them in the memory.

Some techniques can be practiced broken down into steps, for example a round house kick - tuck, pivot, extend, un-pivot, tuck-back, foot down. We actually use this in all our training sessions. Practice the mechanics of a kick with a partner or with something to lean against to provide a little support. Do not work against any kind of resistance - e.g don't use a bag. The key is to go step, by, step, one at a time against thin air. Pause at each step, don't use power, just concentrate on getting the balance and sequence of mechanics correct. This really helps to refine technique.

If you have a habit of getting carried away you could write a list of what you are going to do first and how you are going to do it and stick to the list.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  11. belltoller

Oh, I've found this to be very true.

Elevated heart rate, intensity and whatnot are not issues. Its a type of strain that causes problems. I've found that I can do squats, even with dumbbells, surprisingly with no problems; yet cannot bend to tie a shoelace even while sitting.

Thanks for the helpful tips - yes, visualization - putting yourself through the paces mentally is so important, whether or not one is sidelined and it ensures that you are in the game.

12. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Wow. :O Have you tried Skeletoes shoes? I wear them all the time for practicing forms/sparring/jogging/etc. Only 3 velcro straps and they're set for the whole session. :)

13. belltoller

Or I could just ask my sparring opponent to lace up me shoes :happy: