Losing any flexibility progress, fast.. :(

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Jayla, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Jayla

Jayla Valued Member

Hey guys.

A few weeks ago I'd been working on my flexibility hard, following VanZandts guidance, I was able to reach my toes ok and a few inches beyond.

I went on holiday for a few weeks and (kick me hard) didn't keep up my daily stretches. I think a mixture of that and snowboarding each day + getting bashed about etc has really killed my progress, since now I can't get anywhere near my toes...

Is it normal to lose flexibility that fast? If I ever make it to splits will I have to do it everyday or risk losing it?

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Generally speaking you will lose flexibility approximately at the same rate at which it was gained if you do no work to actively increase or maintain it. Fatigue, trauma or performing movements in a less than maximal range of motion will speed up the rate of loss. It takes less work to maintain flexibility than it does to achieve it.

3. thauma

thauma Valued Member

also remember that whilst you haven't been keeping up your flexibility exercises you have been working muscles that will most likely be in direct opposition to the 'stretches' you were previously performing...........

Sorry, but time to get back to the stretching regime