Lifestyle changes, routine changes...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Cuchulain82, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

Hey all,

It's the first time that I've posted in a few months because I recently moved out of NYC to start law school. It has been hectic (law school is hard), but one of the big things I miss is my training. I moved to Vermont (a rural state north and east of New York City), and there are no MA schools within a reasonable distance where I could train regularly- has anyone dealt with this before? I would like suggestions on how to best deal with a hiatus from training.

Thus far I've been living at a local gym. I used to train MT and Kali 7-8 times/week and lift 2 times/week. Now I'm lifting 4 times/week and running 2 times/week. I'm getting hugely strong- my upper body is much more muscely than it was before, and I don't know if this is a good thing (I know, I know... more muscle is better 99.9% of the time). Anyway, I would love it if anyone who has dealt with this before could chime in...

Thanks!

2. Crimson_Stone

Crimson_Stone Stay Puft

I've always treated dojo time as more a Q&A time rather than a skill development time. I would take notes on what areas I'm weak in and then would train those weaknesses at home.

Now days I am working in the offshore oil industry, meaning 2-4 weeks at a time I have no access to a dojo or coach. Before I leave I talk with the instructor and see what areas I need to focus on then while offshore I design my workouts around those areas. For example while sparring my legs were getting worn out first during long training sesions, so when I went offshore I spent the four weeks doing drills that really punished the legs.
    Drill 1
    Juming Jacks 30s
    High Knees 30s
    Squats 30s
    Pusups 30s
    Situps 30s
    Burpees 30s
    1 minute rest

On top of that there is always skill development to be practiced, so hang up a heavy bag and find a mirror to practice in front of.

3. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

A temporary hiatus from training isnt going to do you over too badly. Like Crimson said, hang up that heavy bag, and get to work. You have experience in drills, so you know what you can do to help your weak areas. Then when you get back to training, you wont have lost too much skill.

Use your time away from training to pick up women with your new muscles :D.