Length, Intensity, and Frequency of Stretches

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Haste, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Haste

Haste Scream

The first question; How long should you hold stretches? I usually hold about one minute.

Second; How intense should the stretch be? Just until tension, or until there is some pain that you can bare for the stretch?

Third; Should you treat stretching like weightlifting, as in should you stretch everyday, every other, or what?

I will greatly appreciate any input!

-Haste

2. bphan002

bphan002 Valued Member

Read the beginners guide to flexibility topic. It has all your answers.

3. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I'll try my best.
    firstly, about 30 seconds. Secondly, just until you feel the tension. Thirdly, if you're doing isometric stretching then yes. Traditional relaxed stretching does not need this.

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Don't time yourself. If you get out of the stretch before you've even allowed the tension to ease up, you will only reinforce the stretch reflex - it will take you longer to progress.

What type of stretch? (Know that there is no such thing as "good pain")

Again - what type of stretch?

5. Haste

Haste Scream

Type of stretch: Hold the position at tension for one minute. Not sure what that's called.

-Haste

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Ah - you mean relaxed stretching. The key is in the name - you have to teach the muscles to relax, thereby allowing you to bypass the stretch reflex and move into a greater range of movement. You are essentially waiting out the tension - timing yourself is a bad idea.

You can find out more by clicking HERE to go to the "Beginner's guide to flexibility". Read the info under the heading "Great, so how do I do relaxed stretches?"