killer reps fast...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Noib Da Mutt, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Noib Da Mutt

Noib Da Mutt Banned Banned

I've found that the more reps I do very very quickly the better my results are... Also, practicing techniques or excercises in different ways and intensities... For instance, one day practicing for speed, and doing the techniques as many as possible and as fast as possible... The next day focusing on form and control... The next day accuracy, the next day power... etc...

Also, if you do little things more intense and in high reps, like, for instance jumping up in the air as high as you can, it has killer results...

I did some simple plyometric jumping excercises the other day in reps of 100, pushing until I couldn't do it, resting a second, then doing it again, and I must say, I feel it in my calves more than I ever did with calf raises, and my calf got bigger too... Awesome way to go about things... I'm going to develope a 1000 workout for myself and see how that works out where I do all of my techniques in super duper high reps and speed... Wordness... change of pace in training...

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

i find it very hard to believe you noticed a visible difference in the size of your calf from one workout session. if it takes you 100 before you get tired you are doing pussy plyometrics.

3. Noib Da Mutt

^^^I just did some jumping excercises, no box drills or anything like that... And try to watch the way you say things, you pass off the impression of being bull headed and quick to judge...

4. special43543

special43543 Special Member

bah, those damn Muay Thaiers! :D

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Congratulations - you filled a muscle with blood :rolleyes:

6. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

well im a taurus so being bull headed is quite within my rights

7. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

Your workouts sound very endurance based... and what have we said about endurance?.. :D Why don't you do harder plyometrics and do less reps? Works for Matt Furey. :D

8. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Don't mind Ikken. He's a perfectly fine human being. All he needs is someone to throw knees and elbows at him the rest of his life. ;) (yeah, I stole a line from Full metal Jacket, but it semed appropriate).

So if a few reps are good, more is better? Not always. I'd rather see the reps kept fairly low, and modify the exercise itself (either with external resistance, or a more challenging exercise) to increase intensity. But, your enthusiasm never ceases to impress me, Mutt. How long to you stick with an average workout, before creating the next big thing?

9. Noib Da Mutt

^^^Well, usually with a workout I discover or come up with, I modify it to fit into the arsenal of workouts/excercises/drills that already work well for me, and modify them until they are best fit to suit what I am striving to achieve... Those workouts that don't do much for me are discarded and I don't use them... So basically then I spread the workouts throughout the week so that I target what I need to and use the workouts I need to... For instance, if I'm working on quickness in a given month or so, I'll target excercises that will aid with that, if I'm going more for perfection of form or technique, I'll go for repetition and control, if endurace, high reps high intensity, and so on, etc...
    I just usually like to see comments and helpful advice others have to help better what already works or even perhaps suggest alternatives or additional workouts...

I do, and I tend to stick with them and get a variety of different results depending on the workout... Thing is, at this time I'm trying to up my endurance a bit a cut up some, add some quickness... But, I'm open to try new things with my body, see how it repsonds... Recommend any good websites?

10. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Endurance in a useful form also deals with higher loads.
    Any exercise you can do for a hundred reps counts as cardio in my book. Harder plyometrics- which are NOT something you should do all year round- are valuable exercises, once you can squat 1.5 times your bodyweight. True, this practical guideline hasn't been validated by a great body of research, but it does seem to be about the level where plyometrics can be usefully employed.
    Plyos deal with the stretch-shortening cycle that teaches your muscles to be able to produce force more quickly by learning the 'cocking' action.
    Take a look at this; http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/plymo.htm
    DON'T do 'all your techniques at super duper high speed'. It makes my elbows and knees creak in sympathy just thinking about it.

11. Noib Da Mutt

^^^awesome link...

12. Knight_Errant

it's only a standard sports science article.

13. Tansy

Tansy I train ninja guinea pigs

your muscles may have swollen slightly, or from the amount of training you did your eye sight is blurred!joke!

14. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

HAHA, dude, its been over 2 years sence the last post. I think hes learned a few things :rolleyes:

15. tetsu ryu

tetsu ryu Death is always a option!

I wouldn't go about doing a thousand of anything.. No matter how good it may feel.. :D Keep up the plyometric jumping and add other things to supplement your workout. Since explosive jumping is so easy for you... You should also see about doing some one legged jump squats. (I like to call them "pistols with a bang!" ;) )

16. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

[​IMG]

Guys, as Prophet's already pointed out, this is an ancient thread. Let it RIP please.

17. Knight_Errant

If only...