Keeping it interesting.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Kframe, Apr 22, 2014.

1. icefield

icefield Valued Member

dont worry about using the bike and whether its a spin or a normal bike, the body doesn’t know the difference between what its training on just that its training, get your HR into the required zone and you are good to go, bike, treadmill or elliptical machine it doesn’t matter just do the training
    if the bikes working for you keep at it, to be honest people look at these things from their own perspectives and often cant see that what works for a young combat sports athlete weighing less than 180 pounds might not be a good idea for a weekend warrior guy over 240 pounds. Im 6ft 230 pounds and in my late 30s, and I prefer to do my cardio with a bike (spin at the gym normal at home) kettlebell or on a bag, or at judo or MMA, when I was younger I preferred running but as I got bigger the impact on the joint got worse so I dropped it, no big deal on resting H is still in the mid to high 50s and I can still last with the judo and MMA guys
    The heart is a dumb muscle it doesn’t care what you use to exercise it just that you exercise it

And yes lots of free workouts on youtube as well as podcasts to download!
    I just put something like 16 1 hour spin classes on my girlfriends phone for her to listen to whilst spinning lol

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

A spin bike has a big flywheel on the front that keeps spinning when you stop cycling. That makes it much more like riding a real bike than the constant resistance provided by magnetic trainers. You can also properly sprint on a spin bike, which you can't really do on a magnetic trainer, making it better for high intensity training.

You'll lose weight doing any kind of exercise, but over time, your body with adjust to the cycling and you'll need to either increase the intensity or increase the time you spend on the bike in order to maintain gains. Increasing intensity on a magnetic trainer is difficult past a certain point and unless you want to be spending 2 hours on the bike a day, you need another option.

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

As I understand it, strictly speaking, tabata intervals ONLY apply on a stationary bike as that is what was used in the original study?
    And actually, although you can use the 20/10x4 time protocol using other methods it's not accurate to call it "doing Tabatas" because it's not the same thing?

4. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

*ahem*, isn't it 20/10x8? :D

:runs and hides:

Second nerd point: surely if it conveys the correct meaning (i.e. "Tabata Front Squats with 40kg" = max reps of front squats with 40kg for 20 seconds, followed by 10 seconds rest, 8 times), then the language is accurate.

5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

actually a tabata is an interval which takes you to 170% of your VO max and lasts 20 seconds, the original study ended the intervals when the cadance dropped below the point this mark could be kept, be it 8 sets or 6 sets

the original study also had people throwing up when they got of the bikes, or actually falling off and being held up by assistants, to be honest unless i put a gun to your head i doubt you or I are going to be doing a tabata anytime soon all we are going to be doing is a 20 on 10 sec off interval, how useful that is for your goal is anyones guess

6. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

In that case I stand corrected :)

said the man in the orthopaedic shoes

7. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I just love to laugh at youtube videos of Tabata bodyweight activities!

8. icefield

icefield Valued Member

dont be and sorry if i came over as an idiot but its a pet annoyance of mine, the fitness industry took one study done with about 8 people and extrapolated it out of all context

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

That's it. I knew a "true" tabata was a lot more involved than just doing "something" for 20/10x8.
    I believe stationary bikes were used because the athletes in question were cyclists to start with (maybe?) and it's easier to monitor breathing and heart rate on one.

10. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

People are pretty obsessed with HIIT work generally and don't really know what it involves or how to carry it out correctly. There's a lot of misinformation out there about it.

Not that I am an expert though.

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Sort of. But people shouldn't be thinking they will get the same gains by doing 40kg squats in "Tabata time" (for example) as the people in the original study got doing flat out cycling under well monitored conditions IMHO.

12. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Put a Tv in front of it. Then just sit and peddle. Game of thrones, re-runs of Buffy the vampire slayer, Whatever It will make the time and the virtual miles fly buy.

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I've started re-watching all my old Pride and UFC DVD's in between weight sets.
    I am man, hear me roar!

14. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Fair point; so you're probably right that "Tabata front squats" should be referred to as "high density" or something similar (give it a CrossFit workout name - "Agatha"). Unless you (I) can prove that you (I) work at 170% VO2max during, then pass out/die after. Doesn't sound fun.

I didn't realise that there is a 'high intensity training' obsessed crowd, it just seemed like another way of getting some work done - another tool in the box rather than the be all and end all.

I don't think you came over as an idiot at all. I ALWAYS like to increase my knowledge and understanding, so when I'm wrong (which is often) and someone corrects me, I appreciate it :)

15. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

A colleague of mine gets his stationary bike stuff done while he plays on his games console. Means he gets about an hour in per day, but I don't know how hard he pedals...

16. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Tabata timed front squats - it's neither effective cardio or strength training...

17. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I play the Xbox while cycling.

18. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

I hear what your saying about things leveling off. The thing is, I lost 110lbs just on a bike, over a 9 month period. You would think at some point I would have leveled off? So how an fatloss stop if your consistently eating a deficit and doing loads of cardio?

I guess im just confused about the intensity stuff mentioned here.

19. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

if you do this while watching game of thrones, see if you can imagine that pedaling faster and harder will make your favourite characters avoid death and your most hated characters die. then rest if a favourite cheats death or a hated character dies :p

20. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

I think im done with martial arts for a while. It seams I cant find anything that leaves me spent and fully drained, and a good work out. If im to meet my weight loss goals then im going to have to fully beat my ass during the times I have available to do that.

I truly don't know why im not getting a work out at martial arts. You would think the arts of mars would leave me drenched. So far the only thing that came close was boxing and its practically useless for anything other then a bar room fight........

I find my self struggling, mightily with my weight loss right now. It seams as if everyday is a battle not to cheat and set my self back.. I gained 9lbs over Easter, due to my food addiction.. This song perfectly describes the battle in my head every day as I struggle to maintain my diet.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCJ1LfRRksc"]Egypt Central - enemy inside (part 2) w/lyrics - YouTube[/ame]

Sure I can show up at the dojo, learn the art and even learn to defend my self. However during that time It is only a mild workout at best. So far only sparring was a tough work out.. I love martial arts but im beginning to think fat people shouldn't do them till there fit. There isn't enough time in the day to get a full body work out in(2hours) and 2 hours of martial arts. So I have to choose one.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014