Juice and/or liquid diet

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Estrix, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Estrix

Estrix Valued Member

So I hate eating. It just cuts time out of my day, and its a pain. So what I'm wondering is if I can switch to some kind of juice or liquid diet. Would it be possible to get my full 2000ish calories just by liquefying food and drinking it. Does anyone know if that's possible? Or at least mostly so?

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Possible: Probably
    Advisable: Not really

And honestly, I'm not convinced you'd save much time by doing it. Cleaning food blenders is one of my most hated chores, to the point where I buy fruit smoothies in cartons to avoid having to do it.

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I would certainly not recommend a liquid diet.

I am not a massive fan of protein drinks, but if they must be taken it should be as a suppliment to a normal diet.

Food should be a natural as possible and a liquid diet would probably mean a lot of manufactured stuff and although the packet may say it contains all the vitimins and minerals you need, they would be processed vitimins and minerals.

Your body will not process manufactured vitimins as it would natural and in many cases will not recognise them as food at all.

4. Estrix

Estrix Valued Member

That made me laugh so much for some reason. I've never actually owned a blender so I have no idea about the cleaning time etc, it just sort of seemed that juicing and liquefying might be quicker and easier.

I was thinking I could just take meal ingredients and blend them together instead of wasting time cooking lol.

5. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Regarding vegetables and fruits you would lose a lotta of the ruffage, aka fiber, that your body really needs from the produce. I've also heard the claim that the pulp in fruits mitigates the negative effects of the fruits sugars. If you buy like V8 instead of making it yourself it will be loaded with sodium and probably excess sugar.

I think that the best time saver is too prepare all your food for like the next 3 days on a day for an hour or so. Then you don't have to think about it for at least 3 days. Maybe if you get good at making stuff you can preserve further with say a freezer or one of those vaccum zip thingies you can spread that a few days further. Works for me. I almost never cook during the workdays.

6. holyheadjch

This^^^^

Two of my evening meals this week have been remnants of meals I cooked a couple of weeks ago and froze. No difference in taste and virtually 0 preparation time.

7. Estrix

Estrix Valued Member

Cool. I think that the idea of preparing several days in advance might work better than the liquid plan lol. Thanks for the advice.

8. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

At the risk of sounding like a pompous old windbag, you already have the perfect apparatus for liquifying food - your mouth and teeth! :D They're easier to clean and require less preparation time than blenders, too.

9. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

If you're so busy in life you need to cut out eating, it's time to readjust your priorities.

10. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

Kuma makes an excellent point.

I remember a few months back Men's Health had a feature on liquid diets. I think their verdict was, it can work, but it's pretty bloody specific, and can't be done for more than a week at a time before your body starts going strange. I'd say if you're too busy to bung on some food, given the time taken sorting out a liquid diet, it wouldn't do much for you.

That said, the odd meal replacement if you're stuck for time in that part of the day probably wouldn't do you harm, but for that you can have slim fast shakes (dunno if they work or cover you, I'm going on the fact they're intended as meal replacements coz that's all I know about them) if you don't have time to work out what fruit and veg you need.

To me, eating is a hassle (what with working out carbs and whatnot so I know how much insulin I need), but eating a decent meal when you're hungry is, to me, one of life's simple pleasaures :)

11. Estrix

Estrix Valued Member

So it seems to me that the best method is: readjust priorities (lol), maybe make several days of food at a time, and maybe sub in one or two juice type meals a week if desperate.

I just wanted to ask about something I read the other day. Apparently some people actually live completely on a juice and liquid diet. They go off solid food completely. Is that possible? Advisable? etc. Or is it just completely made up?

12. holyheadjch

I'm sure people do, but it's not the healthiest way to go.

13. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

You know, I'm vegan, so my diet would be probably be considered radical by most on this site, but I have to say that considering an all liquid diet is quite radical. I'm sure some people seek to get by on it, but it wouldn't be anything that I'd consider ideal. There are some people who believe that they can live on breath/sunlight/'energy' alone, but I'm not inclined to believe them. I am someone who makes smoothies quite a bit (though not with packets of anything, just the natural food itself and I never juice, as I do not want to miss out on the fiber), so it can be quite easy to get 1500-2000 calories in a smoothie, but you have to actually eat. It is what we are biologically designed to do.

paz,

dormindo

14. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Asda (walmart) sell a version called shape up, from what I can tell its slim fast without all the hype therefore 1/4 of the price.

I'd never recomend missing meals but i sometime have a shape up shake between meals to keep me going (I need a lot of calories :) ) or on a bulking cycle.

I agree that food is one of lifes great pleasures.

15. SenseiMattKlein

SenseiMattKlein Engage, Maverick

Like Pitfighters advice. You need the roughage from solid food to make you....regular. You can get the reduced sodium V8. I use it because I don't eat quite enough veggies. It takes the same amount of work to make a big pot of curry/stew or whatever as a small one, so make heaps on the weekends and reheat during the week. Most leftovers taste better anyway.

As Kuma states, "If you're so busy in life you need to cut out eating, it's time to readjust your priorities." That is some good advice. Slow down and enjoy the ride. You'll be an old fart like me in no time.