JKD and weight training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by DrunkenMasterBE, Feb 10, 2014.

1. DrunkenMasterBE

DrunkenMasterBE Valued Member

Will try it thank you have to take my barbell and weights outside i geuss for the cleans

2. DrunkenMasterBE

StrongLifts 5x5 Workout A
    StrongLifts 5x5 Workout B
    Squat 5x5 Squat 5x5
    Bench Press 5x5 Overhead Press 5x5
    Barbell Rows 5x5 Deadlift 1x5
    this one?

3. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

No you won't. A clean is pulling the bar from the floor and catching it on the shoulders. You're not throwing it overhead.

4. DrunkenMasterBE

just looked it up but there is also one where you push it above your head no?

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Yes, but that would be the clean and press.

6. DrunkenMasterBE

ok thought it was the same do you know any good 5x5 routine?

7. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Do the one you posted 3 times a week for 3 months and get back to us on how it fits in with JKD after that.

8. DrunkenMasterBE

the one in my start post?

9. 8limbs38112

8limbs38112 Valued Member

You want to mix it up and confuse your muscles. Go to your local gym and ask the trainer with the big muscles if he can write you up a routine. Your routine should change between 3 diffetent kinds of work outs that you change every week. As for gaining weight. Be lazy and eat alot of mcdonalds. No hjealthy foods. Thats the way I gained weight. If you still can't gain weight I don't know what to tell you.

10. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

Ignore everyone in this thread (especially this guy) with the exception of Zadd, join a gym and do starting strength, simple.

11. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

I think its worth mentioning also because I see allot of threads on MAP were people look for strength training advice and talk about improving "power" without really understanding what power is, getting stronger doesn't ensure more powerful striking or becoming a more explosive athlete in general, although it is of course a step in the right direction and an important attribute in of its self. This stuff is worth doing some reading on and not just asking randomers on the internet, every single exercise, workout or programme you do should be done with a clear objective in mind, "hard work aint always good work".

12. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

Oh I'm sorry, I thought this was a discussion forum.

13. DrunkenMasterBE

Where did you read that i want to gain weight i actually want to lose fat and stay about the same or drop a little

14. Mangosteen

dont listen to this guy.
    just eat more than you usually do. it doesnt need to be macdonalds
    the trainer with the biggest muscle is likely to write routine to try to take you on as a client and string you on for as long as possible.

muscles dont get confused, they dont think.
    they do adapt to repeated simulation though so lift frequently and consistently.

try out starting strength, stronglifts or the 5x5 program you posted for a year:
    increasing your absolute strength will increase your overall potential to produce more power and increase your potential to hit harder.

note that i said potential.
    once youve increased your absolute strength (a year from now), you will need to focus on increasing your power output/ability to produce force in general *cough my article cough*
    during this entire time you need to be improving your striking/grappling skills so that you have specific techniques to apply that power into - thereby developing specific power.

15. Mangosteen

on losing weight - go for walks, eat a LITTLE MORE food (sounds counterintuitive but it isnt)

eating a little more will give you more energy for training more and allows you to burn even more calories than whats going in.

16. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

why a set in stone year ?

17. DrunkenMasterBE

Can i replace the squats with legpress? i dont feel save doing them without a spotter and i have bad knee's so i try to be safe on them and joined a wing chun school so im working alot with my leggs evryday ,i might subscribe to a gym again i can afford it know ^^

18. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

they don't call the squat the king of exercises for no reason, leg presses aren't bad but they don't really compare. Why are you so concerned about not having a spotter for the squat, its pretty easy to get rid of the bar as long as you don't go nuts with the weight, if I was going to be concerned about doing any of the major barbell exercises without a spotter it would be the bench press not the squat but again its really just a case of not going daft with the weight your trying to shift, steady progression starting at a weight you can handle, cut out the ego and your need for a spotter will be minimal, anyway you can always ask someone in the gym to be your spotter once you get to proper high numbers.

19. Mangosteen

because if can stick to one program for a year, he's a better man than me and will be able to answer most of his own training questions with his experiences under the barbell.

new peeps need commitment to see strength gains

20. shootodog

shootodog restless native

i hate people like you. :p