Is this okay?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Mugen Zero, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

will take note thanks Dean

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Training without an instructor is pointless. All you are doing is throwing 800 punches with poor technique, which is actually worse than doing nothing at all.

3. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Hey Mugen, I suspected that might be your answer. "Whatever experience I have" sounds like it isn't much experience?

You really need an instructor to learn MA. All the punches and kicks in the world won't do you any good if an instructor is not there to offer feedback on them to see any corrections that need to be made to improve them. Ask the people here what you need to find one. They are really good at matching up students with qualified instructors.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  4. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

actually i've already taken enough experience to understand the martial arts moves. right now i'm just trying to find out the right training regime.

5. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

or if you like the most crazy training regime.

6. mattt

mattt Valued Member

You can take many approaches to Martial Arts, but injuring your body with no purpose is not one of them. Punching at the air as you are doing has no value and can hard your body.

With that in mind, what is your goal from martial arts, give it some serious thought and let us know. We can suggest a better training regime based on that.

Goals include:

Gaining self confidence
    Health and Fitness
    Learning to defend yourself
    Being part of an organization in order to learn and carry on its traditions
    etc, etc or a combination of several.

State your goals and we will help you (though do not be surprised if it has been mentioned already in this thread)

7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

If you think doing 10,000 punches was achievable, then you don't know enough about the technique.

8. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

Don't take this the wrong way, but im not sure thats how it works. A good analogy would be a surgeon, a surgeon doesnt take a couple of surgery lessons then say " I have learned enough, I will now practice in my mind and on the air and be a good surgeon". To be a good surgeon, you need to learn from other surgeons, and practice surgery in the right conditions. I mean would you go under a surgeons knife if he only had that theoretical knowledge and training with imaginary patients?

The same goes with martial arts. If you dont learn the right way, and practice it against resisting opponents, you will not be able to apply it to resisting opponents. If you train to fight the air, you will only be good at fighting the air.

And this is aside from the fact that without the right tutalage you could be doing everything wrong, and develope bad habits that are hard to break.

9. aaradia

\\

No offense, but I have seen enough of these types of claims in the past to doubt this is true.

What is your past experience under qualified instructors?

10. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I could, but as other have mentioned, you need a competent teacher to teach them to you properly.

11. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

I guess the only thing i want to achieve is to do be as strong as i can be. there are many things i would like to achieve in martial arts. One of them is to do something in memory of general Choi, the founder of taekwondo, which is to finally make taekwondo into one organization instead of it's multiple forms. In fact i would like to combine them all, all martial arts. Although it may sound like a naive and dumb kid's dream. And please do not think I am not heeding anyone's advice. I understand that I will always be a greenhorn in martial arts, no matter how long I've trained, or how hard i train, are we all not? the only reason for the ridiculous training regime is to give me a goal i must achieve and in order for me to achieve this dream in my short life time, i must be strong to accept the challenges. and i thank you all for the advices you have given. I just hope you all can just help me figure out what i should do. I just don't know how i'm supposed to achieve my dream. Please help guide me then. right now any martial arts training regime will help. I just want to achieve my dream to unite all martial arts. Not trying to be batman. I just one to unite us all.

12. aaradia

If you are ever going to achieve respect in martial arts communities, you will need to train under qualified people first. That is a prerequisite to earn respect to the vast majority of Maists.

If you are still a kid, you have not had enough years of experience under qualified instructors to be teaching yourself.

There is so much more than just having strength to being a MAist. You need proper technique for one thing. You cannot develop that without feedback from someone who is qualified.

To achieve above said goals, you need to get yourself a real teacher.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  13. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

When you find a teacher, he will give you the routine you need.

14. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

umm i guess almost 11 years of taekwondo training with atleast 7 years as a black belt. I just don't know and i'm not trying to brag but after a lot of training in martial arts and first hand accounts from masters i've met i've began to see the art in a different way. actually i know this is off topic but what does it mean to be a martial artist?

15. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

could you recommend what sword art i should join first?

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Is it half term holidays already?

17. Hannibal

Black belt at 10?

Even assuming this is true, your experience up to now is as a child. Training a an adult is a whole new paradigm

18. Hannibal

What do you want from it?

19. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

umm i guess in my country. It's my final year in high school

20. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

to clear the mind. I assume you will recommend iaido?