Increasing the size of my forearms

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Knight_Errant, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

OK, I've decided I need bigger forearms and a better grip. See, we do conditioning drills in kung fu class and my boney forearms are exposing me to a lot of pain. Now, what's everybody's favourite route to this? I'm currently favouring the idea of doing one-arm deadlifts, but any other ideas would be more than welcome.

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1qKW5e-PPw"]Morio Higaonna - Body Training - Hojo Undo - YouTube[/ame]

3. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I could do that with a dumbell, I suppose. Just load up one end. Any ideas on how much weight to use?

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

not sure, tbh, but mitch posted a guide in the articles section about making a proper one from scratch (you could also use a sledgehammer with a shortened handle)

5. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

Go rock climbing, it's also great fun :D

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

wrist roller (dowel, cord, plate), forearm curls (think like a preacher curl done over your legs), towel pull ups, squeeze tennis balls.....

7. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I've heard that watching the Cindy Crawford workout video can give you a forearm like Arnold Schwartenegger.

8. Hannibal

Only on one side....

9. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

not unless you're ambidextrous

10. Hannibal

I will not sacrifice quality for quantity!

11. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I prefer the Captains of Crush grippers for grip strength. There are a couple threads around here on that.

12. melbgoju

melbgoju Valued Member

wrist rollers (as mentioned above), farmers walks with fat-grips, flipping a 10kg (or mass of your choice) dumbell weight end-over-end with one hand then the other, using small dumbbells like nigiri-game (okinawan gripping jars), gi pull-ups are a few ones that I find useful. (can you tell I get bored easily?)

13. Goshin Wow-za

Goshin Wow-za Valued Member

I just saw "Increasing the size of my..." on my homepage... and figured this thread HAD to be interesting...

What a letdown.

14. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Eat Spinach and walk around saying "I'yam what I'yam".....

15. Shakeweight, the reason people put muscle at puberty! :D

Don't start too heavy... maybe 2 or 3 Kg?

Osu

16. Gripping and twisting in a rice bucket will strengthen both hands and forearms :)

Osu!

17. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I have fairly large forearms for my size. At one point they weren't much smaller than my biceps. The assortment of Popeye gear I've gotten as a gift from my wife over the years backs up this statement.

My goal was never getting big forearms, just lifting heavy. Deadlifts, rows, farmer's walks, and cleans combined with dedicated grip work (heavy hand grippers, pinch gripping, hub pinching, block weight tossing, and sledgehammer levers) made my forearms grow. A fun side effect is when your forearms grow, it also tends to stimulate your biceps so your upper arms should get a little bigger too.

18. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

pretty much all fo this except i get desperate dan shirts.

high frequency stuff is good if you only want hypertrophy, i know lads who do 15 reps on waking and before sleep with a moderate weight.

the one arm deads are a toughy, if you want to be moving any significant weight you'll need a hook grip, which removes a lot of the forearm stimulus. (been to 3 plates hook grip barely above 80 conventional)

frame/farmers carries are always a good one, i tend to monkey grip and have never ever had an issue with grip strength.

owning a fat bar is an obvious one too, i've just been going oly lifts with a thicker bar and my numbers dropped significantly, strange what a dif half an inch makes.

19. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Reading the title and the last post my innuendometer has just exploded.

I'm sure someone famous must have said if you can't contribute anything, say something funny, right?!

20. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Forearms can be a difficult thing to make grow. If you're looking to put on mass you may not get exactly what you're wanting due to your genetic makeup. If your tendons are long the muscles aren't going to get as big and bulky as you may want them to be.

Ironmind.com has some pretty good stuff as far as training for what you're looking for, and they also have plenty of quality equipment to do it. I've never been unhappy with anything I've gotten from them and it's all helped me tremendously.

At the end of the day, months of conditioning will help. Painful yes, but if it weren't pain from hitting the bone it would be pain from hitting the muscle. That's what the conditioning is there for.