How to strengthen grip?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Metal_Kitty, Oct 24, 2010.

1. johnferrignon

johnferrignon Valued Member

Hmmmm.. the strategy used in the picture looks fine. I think it will be effective.

2. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

If you notice a lot of these require your lats to be strong. I've noticed when my lats are extra sore my grip weakens.

Keep your lats strong and relaxed through things like climbing for strength and yoga to relax.

Not to say that grip specific exercises don't work but when my lats are healthy I find my grip improves by leaps and bounds.

3. SenseiMattKlein

SenseiMattKlein Engage, Maverick

I like good old fashioned push-ups on your fingertips.

4. rain21

rain21 Valued Member

i do push ups with finger tips,

5. Emil

Emil Valued Member

This is an old thread, but hey, thought id join in anyway.

Slip had some really good stuff there. Ringing towels out by hand is an unbelievable workout for the grip, and doing chin ups whilst gripping a towel is also excellent.

Like slip, i have spent years rock climbing, and so know a thing or two about having a strong grip. Personally, I don't endorse fingertip push ups, partly because I have damaged my hands in the past, but partly because I simple don't think they work particularly well for grip, although I haven't looked into it a great deal, and so I could be wrong.

The problem with a lot of grip training devices is that they don't work the forearms enough. things like captain of crush, which are great, should really be used supplementary to other grip training methods, just as dumbell flyes should be worked in conjunction with bench press in order to build up the chest. As has been mentioned, lifting heavy things is great for grip strength. One particularly useful exercise is the deadlift, without using straps. As you lift more and more, your grip should strengthen to accomodate. Farmers walks, chin ups, lifting chairs by the leg with just one hand.. pretty much anything that requires you to grip something whilst lifting... will do wonders for your grip.

With regards to finger tip pushups, it would be interesting to see see any quantifiable evidence that they are beneficial. As I say, I haven't looked into it a great deal, so there may well be. Im gonna go search.........

Em

6. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

7. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

now there goes some awesomeness....

Attached Files:

• 04b.jpg
      04b.jpg
      File size:
      43.9 KB
      Views:
  9. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Just find two anvils.

[​IMG]

10. Theek

Theek Valued Member

This thread has great info, but I am only 15, should I be doing finger pushups and other grip training? I mean, wouldn't it badly affect my bone structure?

11. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I wouldn't do fingertip push-ups personally, but other grip training is fine for your age. It depends on what you want to do and train for. One of the best things you can do right now is to just hang from a pull-up bar for as long as you can.

12. Theek

Theek Valued Member

Oh ok, thanks Kuma.

13. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Farmer's walk.

14. cejames

cejames Valued Member

Don't forget that you want to stretch before and after. The stretching and increasing of flexibility of fingers, wrists, etc. is beneficial. Bending, twisting, and other types of stretching, etc. exercises is crucial.

If you get the strength but the muscles, tendons, etc. are tight then any extensive stress especially when done in kumite can be costly, i.e. strains and tears, etc.

15. Ste_88

Ste_88 Valued Member

I know this the bodyweight section but farmers walk is certainly worth a mention.

16. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

It's well worth a mention after I just busted out sets of them around the gym tonight using a 25kg canvas sandbag in each hand. Man the forearms and hands are about to explode by the first grip. These particular sandbags are filled with rice... so you can experiment with all sorts of different grips on the bag as you walk around... forearm and grip...and traps... tomorrow I will be sore. :p

17. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

I've found a really good farmers walk complex I've been doing with fat grip DBs.
    I've been using a rugby pitch but anything with four corners will do the job.
    Stand in one corner and do 8-10 bent over rows, trot across to the next corner and do 8-10 curls (yeah curls, bite me) off to the next corner for 8-10 front squats then next corner to bust out some military presses then walk back to the start to finish.
    fun and very tough!
    works as a finisher pretty good.
    FTR I got this off T-nation, Somewhere.

18. Ste_88

Ste_88 Valued Member

I like the sound of that.

Doing pull ups or just hanging using a towel or karate type belt looped around strong, climbing frame etc is quite good aswell.

19. richarjs

richarjs New Member

I like to do towel pullups.

20. fazzenterprise

fazzenterprise Valued Member

Checkout Metolious Training board. Its a board with different indent and holes. You do fingertip pullups and holds off of it. Amazing from grip, finger, and climbing strength.