how to improve sprint speed?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by El-Guapo, Apr 2, 2008.

1. El-Guapo

El-Guapo MMA'ER

Hi,
    does anyone know the best way to improve my speed in sprints?
    does squats help?

thank you

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Interval sprints
    squats
    glute ham raises
    Reverse hyperextensions
    plyometrics
    sled pushes

3. El-Guapo

El-Guapo MMA'ER

wow thanks alot!

4. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Deadlifts

5. hl1978

hl1978 Valued Member

find a short steep hill and run up it 10 yards. Walk down and then do it again and again.

6. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

All of the above, then sprint some more!

7. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Yohan pretty much has teh corr3ct. I'd just add some agility drills to make it even more awesome :D

However, you need to think about how to space your workouts, what types of exercises you choose to do (eg. plyo, I'd be hitting that hard on the first day of the week but only doing it once a week).

Time your runs, keep a log of what you do, your results. Recovery is obviously very important.

After I started lifting for strength and combining that with plyo and my cardio I found my foot contacts to ground increased, my explosiveness, speed etc. all benefited from the wholistic approach.

8. Mehrad

Mehrad Valued Member

Jump rope, if you do it right. But what Yohan said was spot on!

9. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Depends on whether you mean straight line track sprinting or dynamic speed where you will change direction.

www.higher-faster-sports.com is a great site with loads of free articles on this kind of thing.

10. flaming

flaming Valued Member

11. kenwen

kenwen Valued Member

Technique :)

I got the opportunity to train with some local level athletes and they all run fast because they have a good running technique - GPP came into it but they work more time on the track then they do in the gym.