How quick to progress?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Southpaw535, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I have noticed that 17 years in front of a tv has left me unfit and I'm a couple of weeks out from actually going to a gym and working it but I have two concerns:

1. My cardio is awful and I have prefurably about 6 months to go up 3 bleep test levels so is that possible? Other thing with this is would it be easier to achieve average cardio and then harder to progress, or will it just be hard all through?

2. As mentioned I have an incredibly lazy lifestyle which through posture, fitness, and bmi I'm now paying for. But what I'm really worried about is if spending this long on my butt means I'm now screwed? So basically is it too far gone for me to achieve a reasonable level of fitness cardio wise?

Cheers

2. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

You're 17. From the ages of 15-21 I was quite fat and did no exercise. When I was 22-23 I was chronically underweight and had part of my bowl removed, couldn't even walk upstairs without getting dizzy.

Now I'm 29, training six times a week and am appraoching being the fittest I've ever been. Theres hope for you yet :)

3. righty

righty Valued Member

It's never too late and as Snoop says, you're SEVENTEEN!

Stop worrying you youngun.

Fitness, the same as many things follows the law of diminishing returns. It's relatively easy to get a basic level of fitness but to go to world class it takes a lot more.

Oh and level 3 on the beep test is pretty low. Despite your worries, you could probably get up off the couch and do it now.

4. Southpaw535

Nooo I want to go up by 3 levels, even I can get past the 3rd one. Just. Specifically I want to go from 5 to 8.

Thanks though guys thats re assuring

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  5. Southpaw535

EDIT: OT and feel free not to answer snoop but how come you had the surgery? My mum had it done a few years back to remove cancer so I have a strange interest :p

6. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

I've got Crohn's disease, which is basically inflamation of the bowel. Its now in remission with medication so hopefully won't need any more surgery for a good few years, if ever :) Hope your mum is 100% now.

7. Southpaw535

Ah sucks dude sorry to hear that. My mums fine now after an ileostomy or something like that

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

You can make gains across the full spectrum of fitness training (cardio, strength, flexibility etc) right up until the day you die. I've met seventy-year old marathon runners who only started training in their sixties. Check out this video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReYcQFaX07g"]YouTube - Grandmothers of Endurance[/ame]

With regards to the bleep test, sprint intervals are a good way to train for it. Or heck, just run the damn thing three or four times a week and you'll see your threshold sky rocket. I had to hit level 11 when I joined the army (a year older than you are now), but was gassing at level 8 and 9. After four weeks of doing the bleep test every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and swimming intervals on the other days, I cracked level 13 at the recruit selection centre (1.5 mile run went from 10:45 to 8:42).

9. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

10. Southpaw535

11?! oh bugger me I thought it'd be 7 like the police :bang:

Thanks for the links KE useful stuff

11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I was going for infantry. If you're going for a different branch, one which is less physical, the entry requirements will be reduced to reflect this. Plus I joined back in the "old days" when men were men and a 16-bit computer was all we needed for gaming. None of this PS360 Live or whatever you kids call it these days.

12. Southpaw535

haha your not that old yet dude. I may well will be going infantry unless I'm flat out refused. In which case I will armbar the recruitment officer

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

LOL. Which reg you thinking about joining?

14. Southpaw535

Princess of wales is my local but their deployments are mostly cyprus and the like doubt an armoured division is that useful in the east. Depends what role I settle on so far its CMT, engineers or infantry. Leaning heavily towards regulars now though so might try and find a solid infantry one

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Regional regiments have the problem of in-fighting because they usually recruit lads from rival towns. I suggest the Paras if you're looking for "travel" :whistle:

16. Southpaw535

There's a bloke at airsoft who was a para he now has a fake eye and a mostly fake leg after being welcomed to afghanistan by a kid with an AK.

I considered the marines and paras but I thought I'd struggle with the fitness requirements too much but then it could be doable. I've noticed this is all dependant on my dad paying for eye surgery on my 18th so I should probably ask him one day

EDIT: sorry that is a rambling post. No more map after bjj

17. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

It's a big decision. Take your time and make sure it's the right one. :cool:

18. Southpaw535

Got a hat? Its just picking a role and now a reg, I'm definitely going for the career.

back on topic for a sec is there a better bit of gym kit for working cardio?

19. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Get yourself a skipping rope - it'll really help you build up your cardio.

20. APC

APC Valued Member

Go engineers so when you come out you have a trade behind ya.